Injector Question and advice needed

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
A couple months ago I bought a 92 F350 2wd dually with the A4OD trans. I've been going through it getting all the little things fixed and now I'm about to dive into the fuel system. The truck runs great and has the banks sidewinder turbo setup. The only real problem is when I have a load ( pulling a trailer ) on the truck or if I'm doing half throttle or more acceleration I seem to black out the sun with the amount of black smoke coming out the pipe. This makes me think I need to turn down the injector pump a little. I guess the previous owner loved the smoke. I don't know. I really just want it running correctly and the most efficiently it can. I don't know the history of what has been done to the engine but last night I ran the truck on a 200 mile unloaded trip and when I checked the mileage it came back as getting 14.8 mpg.

The truck has 221,000 miles and now to my questions... Should I adjust the injector pump down until the smoking goes back to normal levels or do you think the injectors could be playing into this? I can swap the injectors but don't want to waste money where it's not needed. I am installing a pyrometer to help with this adjustment so at this time I don't know what the EGTs are when blowing all that smoke. Just based on getting the 14.8 mpg mileage to me I'm thinking the injectors could be ok or have been changed at some point.

Just really looking for opinions and advice. Thank you for any you have.

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely try turning down the fuel on the injection pump before you get new injectors. since your getting about 15 mpg already. Turning down the IP will give you even better MPGs and should give you less black smoke

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like the way the truck is running and you're getting 14.8mpg, my vote is to let sleeping dogs lie. Don't like black smoke? use less pressure on the skinny pedal. Or check the timing, it may be a little too advanced.

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
Thank you both. I was thinking that almost 15mpg was pretty good and like you said if I get this thing running a little more efficient I may get a little more. How do I know when injectors are ready to be replaced? What are the tale tale signs? Would like to check the timing also. I know there are meters to check the timing out there. I think I read that you could rent one from someone here on the board but I would like to own one if possible. Just like having my own tools. Any suggestions on that front?

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
Also when I say I'm getting lots of black smoke I mean it's constant when pulling. People are doing all they can to get around me and you can see the smoke trail for half a mile in the mirror. Just clouds of it. lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with all that smoke, you are dumping raw fuel. so your pocket book and your calculator are saying 15 mpg, but if you could measure the amount of fuel being thrown out of the exhaust I would speculate its more like 18+

pyro and boost gauge would be my first round of mods. but odds are with plumes of smoke, youre on the hotter side of 1100+

this kills aluminum and cast iron! been there. done that. keep the EGT's below 1200*
that said, theres a few ways to go about this.

the very first thing I would do is address the intake system. is your filter clogged, wet?

adjust timing is always a good idea but for a large smoke show, this wont make a drastic change.
turn down the fuel, or increase the air.

turning down the fuel will be the cheapest option.

don't mess with the injectors unless, its running rough, or ticking, and you have ruled out air intrusion.
to identify a leaky injector, youll have to pull them and inspect them, but if it runs good, I wouldn't mess with it.

adjust, test, and repeat.
I know next to nothing about the banks, does it have a wastegate? if so you can also add a few pounds of boost.

also get pictures up stat, so we can see your intake set up

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
with all that smoke, you are dumping raw fuel. so your pocket book and your calculator are saying 15 mpg, but if you could measure the amount of fuel being thrown out of the exhaust I would speculate its more like 18+

pyro and boost gauge would be my first round of mods. but odds are with plumes of smoke, youre on the hotter side of 1100+

this kills aluminum and cast iron! been there. done that. keep the EGT's below 1200*
that said, theres a few ways to go about this.

the very first thing I would do is address the intake system. is your filter clogged, wet?

adjust timing is always a good idea but for a large smoke show, this wont make a drastic change.
turn down the fuel, or increase the air.

turning down the fuel will be the cheapest option.

don't mess with the injectors unless, its running rough, or ticking, and you have ruled out air intrusion.
to identify a leaky injector, youll have to pull them and inspect them, but if it runs good, I wouldn't mess with it.

adjust, test, and repeat.
I know next to nothing about the banks, does it have a wastegate? if so you can also add a few pounds of boost.

also get pictures up stat, so we can see your intake set up

Thank you. The filter is not clogged or wet and the banks is a wastegated system. I'm hitting 10-11psi under full load by the gauge. It's the only gauge the previous owner had installed. I have new autometer gauges going in next week. Ok for now I will rule out injectors completely as I have none of the symptoms you describe. I will have the pyro installed next week or so but will not be running the truck until then. Better safe than sorry.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have no idea what smokers do according to law in SC. But I would sure back off the IP fuel at least a couple of Hex. Takes a 5/32" hex wrench. The screw turns hard, so use a new wrench. Then test it for smoke, still smokes a lot, do it a hex at a time.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
turn it down 2 flats,at least, to start. That turbo can keep up with a lot of fuel so the pump is likely wide open.

ID10T hit on all the other good points.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bwahaha @ ID10T.

chevell, not just the filter, but the air induction system could cause restrictions that also limit air, and cause smoke.
heres a pic of my intake system, pre turbo

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Turning down the fuel is your most important thing to do right now. Billowing that much smoke heats up pistons fast. You really need the pyro to know what the temps are on the exhaust gas. Drive it easy and do not make the black smoke and you can be safe till you know what the pyro is telling you. then turning down the fuel as needed can be done. Lastly timing is a much overlooked item that needs to be checked. Knowing where you are is priceless.

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
Thank you all. I will start working on these problems next week. Going to paint the gauge pod tonight to match the interior.

Does anyone know where I can get a timing meter? I would like to buy one if possible.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above kent moore meter is a great buy. My suggestion is buy it now. Very seldom do they show up cheaper than this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online