Injector Pump Removal

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That link doesnt go anywhere for me. But to pull the IP off without affecting the gear timing of the IP, undo the 3 screws from the IP timing gear, then undo the 3 bolts that hold the IP on. Pull all the injector lines off the injectors, and lift the whole mess off. Leave the timing gear cover on. You will still lose the timing allowed by the slots in the IP. If you scribe the IP/cover mating surface before removal you can get it back in the right spot unless you are re-installing a different IP.

To get the bottom bolt on the IP, put a 30* or so bend right by the box end f the 9/16 wrench.

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the only problem is that the two posts are conflicting in info...One says to pull the timing gear cover, and the other doesn't...I'm trusting both, but need a definite. Thanks for all the help.

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont take the timing gear cover off. Just take off the oil filler and you have access to the 3 bolts that hold the gear to the IP.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think maybe we should start calling the cover that needs to be removed so the three drive gear bolts can be removed called the timing gear cover ....cover. The cover with two bolts holding it on. Noth the large half circle aluminum cover that the pump bolts up too....

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the newer 7.3L, so I am pretty sure you are used to pulling the filler neck off, but I'm pretty sure that on my newer 7.3 i have to pull the timing cover to get the IP off. Can anyone verify this? Thanks for the help though.

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think maybe we should start calling the cover that needs to be removed so the three drive gear bolts can be removed called the timing gear cover ....cover. The cover with two bolts holding it on. Noth the large half circle aluminum cover that the pump bolts up too....

Haha. I agree. Sorry I didn't read your post before I posted my last one. I think we have it all straight now!

gandalf

Reaction score
It would help to know more about your truck. What model year? That sort of information.

Mel Agne wrote a pretty good article on this subject, I think actually about the fuel delivery system maintenance. Read it. The first couple pages deal with IP removal.

Icanfixall is right about the process. Remove the oil filler neck, or the cover plate, on the front of the timing gear cover. DO NOT remove the timing gear cover itself. Behind that cover plate are three bolts which hold the IP to the timing gear. These are not to be confused with the three studs and nuts which hold the IP to the timing gear cover. The three bolts which hold the IP to the timing gear are accessed through the front of the timing gear cover. The three studs are on the rear of the timing gear cover.

Below is a picture of the cover plate removed from the front of the timing gear cover, and the three bolts which hold the IP to the timing gear.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now thats a great picture showing what we have been talking about Ken. Thanks so much. Pictures telll amazing thing.... Those three tiny bolts are 12 point 5/16th inch hex. They reuire 25 lbs of torque. Don't have a torque wrench... Get them as tight a one hand and a wrench will get them. Mel does it this way and his thumb will tell you what it feels like....:eek: The other side of this gear cover you have three 9/16 nuts on studs that hold the pump to the cover. Those are tuff to get at. A special tool was made just for this job. You can heat up a wrench and grind it to fit like I did.

gandalf

Reaction score
Thank you sir. I've most often found that pictures are more easily understood than words. Decent pictures along with a good write up is the best.

Here's another picture. This one is of the three studs on the back side of the IP gear cover. These are what hold the injector pump to the timing gear cover. The three in the previous picture are what connect the injector pump to the timing gear, allowing the engine, through the timing gear, to drive the injector pump. You can see the stationary timing mark just above the top stud.

You must be registered for see images attach

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
The way I have been referring to them is "the timing gear cover" and "the timing gear housing"

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys...got the IP off and the injectors, glow plugs, and wiring undone. Now I'm just going to pull the engine out and get ready to pretty much overhaul it. Thanks again for the help.