Injector came apart in head

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, while changing my injectors, one of them was extremely hard to screw out. A breaker bar with a 2 foot cheater bar could just barely move it a little at a time. When it finally came loose, the injector had screwed apart in the middle.

I thought that I would have to remove the head to get it out, but since I was working at the auto hobby shop at Elmendorf AFB, AK, there was some help available. The guys had a homemade tool, an impact puller with vice grips welded on the bottom. After grinding the threads off the piece that came out, I was able to screw the two pieces together and using the vice grip impact puller, pull the carboned up injector bottom out.

I am woried because one more is really stuck in there.

Has anybody else had such a thing happen?

hweaver

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Yep, that’s how one of mine was when I got my truck. I think it is mostly caused by either a re-used copper washer, the injector not being properly torqued when installed, or the seat area where the copper washer should seal isn’t totally clean when the injector is installed. Any of these 3 things can cause a leak, and a whole lot of carbon buildup around the injector body.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now that I have that one out, how do I clean out the carbon so that I get a good seal on the new injector?

Boy, I hope the other one that is tight comes out easier than this one. I won't be able to work on it again until Tuesday, due to the hobby shop being closed on Sunday and Monday.

akoldnav

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen, ground the threads off and screwed it back together and sprayed PB Blaster in the hole, put impact on it and turned it in the hole until it was really loose and pulled it out. Lost a injector core but saved tons of time and money........Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do that when the injector thread gind-off trick works so well? Uncontrolled energy always has the potential to do serious damage.

tommyp

Reaction score
Can see it now,wanted........new hood LOL

I have used the crank it trick before, be very careful

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Just lay a piece of wood across it then I have never had one come out with that much force.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
They make a tool to clean the bore. After all the trouble I've had, I am thinking about it, even if it is expensive. I had 1 inj loosen and one get stuck while doing my heads. The stuck one is still in there, got to get it out to replace them :rolleyes: I know I used new washers, torqued them to spec, and even attempted as best as I could to clean the bore out. I still had almost every single bore full of carbon (nasty!!) and removal problems. I hear you on the breaker bar!
Good Luck
James

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least I am not the only one to have this type of problem. I know that I am not looking forward to getting that other injector out when I get back to it on Tuesday. My arms are still sore from yesterday. The one still stuck is #7 which is is hard to get at with an impact wrench or the home made puller.

All this and I still haven't tried to lift the engine so that I can get the oil cooler out for its rebuild.

akoldnav