Injector blow by...

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just bought a 7.3 idi turbo for 1500 bucks needed a ip. I noticed I have a injector blowing. Is that a major problem or is it a quick injector replacement fix? Truck has not run in 2 years but she's running now. She's smoking pretty good. Also any good source for a acclerator cable? I heard some aftermarket ones don't fit right. Thanks guys

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's an injector blowing? Tip leaking into the cylinder? Return cap leaking?

If an injector needs replacing on a set with unknown service history, it's proper to replace all eight. You'll need a return line kit and olives for each of your hard line connections along with the injectors.

I'd first warm up the engine, fill the fuel filter with ATF, start the engine and let it run for 30 seconds until the sound changes. Shut it down and let it sit overnight. The ATF may loosen up any gunk in the injectors.

If it's just a return line leak, you need the above parts minus injectors. We have a few vendors that can get you what you need.

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it out after some research. What the problem is the injector isn't seated all the way. My proposed solution is ill pull the injector clean it up along with the bore make sure I get the washer out and see if it will seat after cleaning. If it doesn't seat I'll get a reamer. Glad it isn't something super major. Ford parts giant is where I found a throttle cable for $113. Compared to $30 aftermarket ones. Hope I didn't waste money going oem guess I'll find out when it comes in.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten a couple aftermarket(Dorman?) cables. First one in my '93 was stiff. A few months, maby a year later it just snapped on me driving home(Bailing twine rigged from the throttle lever, across the windshield wiper and in through the wind-wing works as a makeshift throttle).

Put a new one in(warranty)... Worked perfectly. Happy so far.