information about 1989 cummins

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
i found a listing for a 1989 250 cummins, manual trans, 4x4, just over 200,000 miles, i was wondering are these pretty good engines, how reliable are they, what kinda tranny it might have, 4 or 5 spd and any other valuable info you all might have, i know the newer cummins are good motors, just dont know much about these, any help i would appreciate very much, the reason for this is that i am looking to buy a cheaper diesel here in the next week. I found a 1993 F-250 7.3 IDI XLT 4x4 auto that i am looking at too, i guess i am kinda doing a comparison, thanks

Bradley

1998 Toyota Tacoma :Sly
4x4 5spd V6
3" suspension lift
Mud Tires

1988 Toyota Pickup
4x4 5spd 4cyl
(project Truck)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The tranny should be a Getrag 5 spd. The early Cummins like you're looking at are good engines - heck it's almost the same thing as our 2nd gens (slight differences). It will have a turbo stock but no intercooler. With having 200k miles on the clock it should have quite a few miles let in her (another 100k at least) if you take care if it.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
With proper care and feeding, one can live well over 500k. The Jetlag, and diff might take some work eventually. I've abused the hoo-haa out of mine, as did the previous owner.

No complaints, other than warm EGT's under a heavy load. Couldn't have anyting to do with the pump cranked up, and huge clouds of smoke. :angel:

MLee

Reaction score
The 89's had a cooling problem also. I think because there was no Intercooler, direct boost from the turbo and the radiator was designed wrong. The fix was to change the top hose and bottom hose to opiset sides of the radiator. Or find a 92 set up and install the whole thing, intercooler, radiator and a different thermostate housing. The Auto trans did not help either.
Marv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance