Increasing The E4OD Trans Fluid By 2 Gallons

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes I am... Tomorrow I'm installing my Mag-hitec trans oil pan. I went online and found the factory only 38 miles away from my home so I went there and bought another magnetic drain plug. Mine was buggered up from the P.O. who didn't know how to operate an allen wrench... So $20.00 bucs for the wrench, plug and o-rings to seal the pan to the trans and I'm on my way to more oil is better oil. It even has the original temp sending unit in the pan half way down the side..... Neatooo.....;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That is going to be synthetic tranny fluid going into that thing after spending all that extra cash???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well the Mag-hitec pan is on. I really have not run it long enough for a comparrison temp yet but soon. I used Chevron MP3 trans oil. Brian and I talked in depth about snythetic or not on this trans. He told me anything would work so use what you want and can get easily. So I'm running what I can find anywhere out on the road. I really wanted to run Evans coolant too but out on the road its hard to find. Now if everything was leak proof I would probably run synthetic oil and Evans coolant and be done with it. Way too many choices too...:D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Even with regular fluid, that extra 2 gals along with the cast aluminum finned pan should make a noticable difference in tranny temps and wear.
Granted, I'm a big Amsoil fan, but these days, the major mc parts chains and wally world are all carrying the lower grade big name synthetics nationwide, so if that's a concern, any synthetic is better than no synthetic.

On that Evans you can mix it with Low-Tox Propolene Glycol coolant in a jam. When I had my freeze plug cut loose on vacation, I had a few spare gallons, and I had a few days and could have had some more expressed to the campground, but since I had contaminated it with sealer, I went ahead and bought a bunch of low tox at the local Oreilly's and topped it with that since it was all coming out soon anyway.

archangel

Reaction score
Add 20 gallons if you want, because if you do not design the cooling system right it will just take longer to heat it all up, then you are back where you started from, just with more fluid, and adding more fluid will end up costing you more when you go to change it.

The transmission fluid volume is fine where it is, or go with a 4X4 pan and filter with the longer pick up tube if you want, but all you need to do is add a real decent cooler, (and add it in the right way) and keep the trans fluid temp low enough, and the fluid could last you 100,000 miles or more!

Add it in line after the factory cooler and it will run cooler than engine temp, and that is what you want big time as the returning cooled fluid is just added to the hot fluid in the pan, and if that cooled fluid is 190 degrees, (engine coolant temp) the pan fluid must be a hell of a lot hotter.

Most overheating vehicles climbing a hill overheat because the trans working it's ass off adds more heat than the radiator can deal with while dealing with engine heat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online