In tank fuel pump?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Has anyone done it, or is it even possible with off the shelf stuff? It would be pretty freaking cool to do.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I've often wondered why it couldn't be done, just regulate the extra pressure down. Would make the tank switching valve a lot easier to deal with, too.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I've often wondered why it couldn't be done, just regulate the extra pressure down. Would make the tank switching valve a lot easier to deal with, too.

I am running rear tank only in prep for having just the 38 gallon tank. That would really make things simple. Imagine no pump in the engine bay just a line going to the filter. I did A/C delete. So when I finally get a turbo kit it will be super simple and clean.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would you want to?
what gives it that "cool" factor?
id bet you that you wouldnt think it was so cool when the pump went out.
in tank pumps are for high pressure feeding for fuel injection on gassers.
diesels run a lift pump to take the strain off the IP, its just a supply pump, 7 psi if im not mistaken.
the injection pump supplies all the pressure.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Not really for the "cool factor", but more for ease of finding parts. You'd have an e-fuel setup that's easy to get parts for, and the tank switching valve is different so you'd always be able to find them in junkyards or aftermarket for cheaper than the actual diesel parts. I'll be honest and say I don't know what PSI the EFI system runs at though. If it was anything over 20, we're just throwing pennies in a wishing well.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
And I just read that the Ford EFI system ran around 40 PSI. That's WAY too much to regulate down to the 4-8 PSI that you need on the IDI. The pressure would come down but the volume would stay the same and screw with your timing. Sooo... throwing pennies down a wishing well. Not gonna happen. :/

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can regulate that pump, with a regulator with a return line. but not worth it IMO

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I don't remember who it was, but someone here installed a SD electric pump (that puts out 65 PSI) with an 8 PSI regulator. He never could get his engine to run right, and went through 3-4 brand new R+D injection pumps trying to figure it out. In the end, what it boiled down to was simple physics... the pressure was regulated down properly, but volume stayed the same. It was pushing so much fuel through the injection pump that it actually screwed up his timing.

You could regulate 20 PSI down with minimal problems, but the 40 PSI is just going to be too much.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also lose the advantages (which have NOTHING to do with capacity) of dual tanks. Unless, of course, you spend the bucks on TWO in-tank pumps, and a switching system for them.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did something like that. I'm setup for veggie oil and I'm running 2 e-pumps. I have a carrier right outside of my 38g rear diesel tank and I have a raptor just outside of my side veg tank. If I were only running diesel I would use 2 carriers. I have a seperate switch to select which pump gets powered up. I retained the original fuel selector switch to operate the fuel gauge. I have an electric valve on the return line with it's own switch. This set up gives me tons of reduntantcy, while keeping it fairly simple (even though it sounds like a lot). If one fuel filter clogs, If one pump fails, if one tank leaks I can get home by flicking a switch.
I'm not a fan of the intank pumps, but I get most of the benifits of a pressurized fuel system and retain an easy to service fuel system. unbolting a failed pump from the frame rail is much better than dropping a tank.
So, you could run 2 carriers and switch them with the factory switch using 2 relays. The only thing under suction and subject to air intrusion would be the sending units. If you are worried about sourcing our hard to find and expensive sending units just run an efi sender from the same year and lower the pick up tube. That's how I roll.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I found an Airtex setup that replaces factory that is 4-6 psi. Accounting for line loss and you wont have enough pressure. But I did find this: http://forums.mustangworks.com/f8/how-turn-high-pressure-tank-pump-into-low-pressure-pump-29389/

So it is very feasible and possible. Might even be worth considering really. This seems like something I should try.

http://fme-cat.com/overlays/part-de...partType=Fuel Pump Hanger Assembly&brandId=CF
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dfp-fe0115/overview/ This one is 13psi. It said GM applications. But I am sure it could fit.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early 80's ford trucks with the carbureted 460's sometimes had this setup. My truck was one of them. The pumps themselves don't seem to be problematic, but the wiring to them is. They were switched on and off with the switch for the fuel selector valve, and went through an oil pressure switch; the fuel pump wouldn't kick on until the engine had oil pressure. I thought about trying to use them until I researched and realized the electrical problems and lack of availability of the stock pumps I swapped the original tanks out for the ones on my 89 diesel donor truck.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
It would be awesome if one of these big name mfgs put a little bit of effort into doing a retrofit setup. Like make a worthwhile in tank pump setup for carb and diesel trucks. I am willing to bet they would make a profit off of it. They have the tech just sitting around. I would buy one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7