In over my head

newbyneeds2know

Reaction score
I had to replace my clutch and flywheel so while I had the transmission out I thought I would deal with the oil leaks. I've got both front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket, oil cooler gasket and valve cover gaskets.

I must add the engine is still in the truck which is a 93 F250 XLT 7.3 IDI 2WD.

Any and all advice, comments and criticisms would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to diesels so please fill my head with knowledge.

Thank you.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be tough to do all those bottom gaskets without pulling the engine. I'm sure someone has, but I'd pull the engine to do a cleaner job. There's a thread somewhere about pulling the engine and everyone's opinions and experiences. I recommend removing the front clip, others say to pull the hood and go up. Use your discretion and BE CAREFUL!

CharlesG

Reaction score
The only thing that would require engine removal is the oil pan reseal. From the factory, these engines used rtv to seal the oil pan. If you use a gasket, it will leak. Check to see if your leaks are coming from the top of the engine before you think about re-sealing the pan.

newbyneeds2know

Reaction score
It would be tough to do all those bottom gaskets without pulling the engine. I'm sure someone has, but I'd pull the engine to do a cleaner job. There's a thread somewhere about pulling the engine and everyone's opinions and experiences. I recommend removing the front clip, others say to pull the hood and go up. Use your discretion and BE CAREFUL!
In a perfect world I'd have the space to do that, unfortunately I do not. I'm trying go lift the engine now and I removed the 4 nuts from the motor mounts that are accessible from below but it refuses to go up. Should I unbolt the mounts from the engine instead of the frame.

And as of right now I'm flying blind, no manual. My world is far from perfect...lol

Thanks

newbyneeds2know

Reaction score
The only thing that would require engine removal is the oil pan reseal. From the factory, these engines used rtv to seal the oil pan. If you use a gasket, it will leak. Check to see if your leaks are coming from the top of the engine before you think about re-sealing the pan.
Thanks, I'll return the gasket and grab some RTV.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a perfect world I'd have the space to do that, unfortunately I do not. I'm trying go lift the engine now and I removed the 4 nuts from the motor mounts that are accessible from below but it refuses to go up. Should I unbolt the mounts from the engine instead of the frame.

And as of right now I'm flying blind, no manual. My world is far from perfect...lol

Thanks
The transmission is probably against the cab. If you take mounts completely off you'll obviously have a little more hand room.

newbyneeds2know

Reaction score
The transmission is probably against the cab. If you take mounts completely off you'll obviously have a little more hand room.
Tyranny is already out. There's not a lot of room to get to the topside of the mounts. One things for sure I've gotta find a manual, guess I'm gonna have to order one and wait.

Thanks.

May His Grace and Mercy forever be with you and yours.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since you're this close anyway, just go ahead and pull the engine all the way out. By the time that you get the engine lifted high enough to remove the oil pan, it's at least half way out. After you have the oil pan loose, you have to do some yoga moves to remove the oil pump so that the pan can drop all the way off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online