In over my head.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to install some sort of fuel pressure solonoid looking deal on a 1997 power stroke. I have no idea what its called or what it does.

It has like a 3/4 nut,then the electrical part slides off then there is a 1-1/8 nut on the body of the thing.

I can see it way down on the fuel filter housing but I have no idea how to get to it.

He also gave me a bag with some orings and a little tiny screen. Again I have no idea what this part is an or where it goes.

Sorry to be so vague but can anyone help me here? I can't contact the owner of the truck to ask what these parts are.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google 7.3l Powerstroke IPR and see if that's what you're looking for.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google 7.3l Powerstroke IPR and see if that's what you're looking for.
Ya that's it. They showed some special tools to get the fuel lines off which I dont have and I can't afford to buy with tax season here ( dont ask,my wife goofed on the deductions).

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a 6.0PS and IDI guy mainly but I think you can do it on a 7.3PS with a deep socket and a flex head ratchet.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know how. I can't access the thing with all the lines in the way and I dont have the tools.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes it tough if you have no tools. Not to plug another forum on here but you might get more help with that on powerstroke.org, there's lots of 7.3PS ppl over there.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes it tough if you have no tools. Not to plug another forum on here but you might get more help with that on powerstroke.org, there's lots of 7.3PS ppl over there.
Thanks. My idi is nothing like this power stroke. I dont need special tools to work on that and its silly to buy the tools for a 1 time use.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely don't need anything special to remove the fuel lines on a 97.
30 min job max.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Maybe for you. Spent 5 hours goofing with it today and threw in the towel I got the regulator thing in. No way can I get a deep socket down there like the video shows. Absolutely not possible! I resorted to a chisel and hammer to get it loose. Got that done but its hemoraging diesel fuel from some place else now. I gave up for the day as I was tired of walking in fuel and it just pissed me off.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh i got lucky with the fuel lines. Someone else had already cut them and spliced them with rubber hose and clamps.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So you replaced the ipr for a fuel leak?
Ipr has nothing to do with fuel.
What issues are you actually seeing?
I typically use a box end wrench for the ipr. Done it with filter bowl in and out.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you replaced the ipr for a fuel leak?
Ipr has nothing to do with fuel.
What issues are you actually seeing?
I typically use a box end wrench for the ipr. Done it with filter bowl in and out.

The thing is running bad. The owner had it diagnosed somewhere else and I got volunteered to throw the parts at it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ipr wont really cause one to run bad. Hot start or no start issues typically.
Check the icp sensor for oil.
Check fuel pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88