I'm stumped please help

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone hope all is well. Ive got an issue I have been fighting for a while now with my 94 f350 idi factory turbo. About 2 years ago (maybe 15,000 miles) I re did pretty much the entire fuel system. New racor fuel filter and head fuel return kit new moose pump and injectors from connestoga and a new lift pump (autozone). All was well for quite some time but over the last couple of months the truck has started to seem like it's getting air in the fuel. After sitting for maybe 20 minutes warm or cold when it starts it puffs alot of white smoke and runs like crap and eventually levels itself out. Even after running for a while it will run great but still has a white/blue haze to it and it smells like raw diesel fuel. I've adjusted timing to the best of my ability (with out a meter) and can't seem to find any leaks at all other than just a tiny drip here or there from water separator on the racor set up but not enough to make me think it's the issue. Any suggestions would be great here cuz I'm at a complete loss ladies and gents. Truck has power and runs great once it gets leveled off but always has a white ish haze to it and puffs really bad hot or cold upon start up after sitting for 10-15 minutes. Sorry for the long wind thanks in advance.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
leaky injector. after you shut down it is leaking fuel down into a cylinder. pull all your glow plugs , after you have shut it down. unhook the fuel wire to the pump and crank it over. watch which cylinder pushes fuel out or smells of fuel and voila there is your culprit.

probably a good idea to pull them all and have them tested, but the first method is the cheapest. hey i may have been a truck mechanic since 1992 but my farmer's son "fix it cheap " brain is still working.............................:rock:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although you may have no external leaks you can still be pulling air in somewhere, I would put a length of clear hose in between filter and injection pump so you can see it there is any air entering the ip Hope that's the issue and not something more expensive.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the responses I'll try that when I get home tonight.... if I do have air from filter to injection pump what would be some good places to check? Lift pump is fairly new and I switched to rubber lines instead of the steel lines with olives so I guess the next place to check heading back towards the tank would be the tank selector valve?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selector valve is a likely culprit, although it could be as simple as a poorly sealing fuel filter or a pinched hose down by the frame where it enters the lift pump

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok makes sense.. I'm definitely gonna check the air situation, I know where the water separator and filter meet it tends to seep just a little bit but didn't think it was enough to cause that much issue. Thanks

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so got an update.... put clear lines going into the pump from the filter and out of the pump to the return lines and no air bubbles at all. Even after running it for a while and then letting it sit about 10 minutes I still did not generate and air bubbles in the lines so I guess all is well there. @ compressionignitionrules if the injector was leaking down while not running would I still cause the white smoke even after 10 minutes or more of run time? Motor stumbles a little bit and at idle and intermittently misses every now and then. After running the truck down the road it does clear up a good bit but still get a light haze at idle with a strong smell of diesel fuel... also no oil in coolant or coolant in the oil and no loss of coolant at all either.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wet stacking? LOOK it up.
First....
Set the timming.
How many miles on mels stuff?
Vatozone pump next on the list.
Set the timming w\ a METER.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any loss of oil? When it's missing do you hear any chuffing from intake or exhaust? You could possibly have some loose rockers but otherwise sounds like a fuel issue

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look into that wet stacking. I'm working on getting a meter for proper timing. I've had Mel's stuff in my truck for about 2 years roughly 10-12k miles truck mainly gets used during the summer months for race season and is just an around town truck other than that. Not much for a loss of oil I just got just a valve cover leak fixed so since that hardly any loss at all. As far as the chiffon goes I'd have to say I hear it more in the exhuast than intake but unless you really pay attention it's hard to notice. As far as timing goes I've read that 8.5 to 9 degrees btdc is what these motors like is that a correct statement? Also truck has 178k on it forgot to add that in original post.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it has anything to do with the original problem I have but I do notice a decent amount of oil in the cdr and in the tube going from it back to the intake.. how much is to much?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see some pics, it's difficult to say how much is too much without seeing what you are seeing