I'm Pissed

Black dawg

Reaction score
I am glad that it wasn't the transmission!! I kinda suspected T case as a transmission rarely gives up with a big boom unless you are abusing it like a red headed step child (no offence to redheads here lol.....or step children)

I HAVE seen T cases give up in this manner, and had 3 chevy rearends (one 10 bolt and one 12 bolt TWICE) go in a boom fashion.

Was it a BRAND NEW T case? A rebuilt one or one they found out back?

When you say grease, you mean like tubes of grease and not axle grease (gear oil)?

yes it had some super sticky wheel bearing type grease in it. filled up to just below the fill plug.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
That's odd.

my tranny guy said that whenever he gets a diesel truck in that needs a new TQ he puts in a higher than stock stall speed and it turns them into absolute towing machines. he told us that one time a guy came in with a cummins that needed a new tq. he put in a higher stall converter for the customer. the customer came back to the shop a few days later and said that he used his truck for towing big trailers around his farm. he said that in one of his barns where he keeps a trailer there is a big peice of wood in the ground at the entrance of the barn. he hooked up the trailer which was fully loaded. he said that normally he would have to mash the pedal allmost all the way to the floor to get out of the barn. well after the new tq he did that and he did a huge burnout on the barn floor. he said all he needs to do now is let the truck idle out of the barn.

the customer that got the new higher than stock stall conveter was the farmer.

Black dawg

Reaction score
a higher stall would transfer less torque at idle. right? Also I dont think I have seen high stall converters advertised for diesel apps.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
tranny guy also said that stall speed is a poor way to judge a tq. he said that if you get a 2,000 stall converter and put it behind a V6 engine, it would stall at 1,500 rpm. take the same exact tq and put it behind a V8 and it would stall at 3,000 rpm. so it all depends on what engine you are using the converter with.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I am glad that it wasn't the transmission!! I kinda suspected T case as a transmission rarely gives up with a big boom unless you are abusing it like a red headed step child (no offence to redheads here lol.....or step children)

Watch it!:backoff:D I was a redhead when I had hair:D. My beard is white now but it used to be red.

Burt.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
thats what i see in his sig too.im confused lol.:dunno
guess it doesn't matter now knowing it was just a T-case.

I think the 87 is a 5 speed....didn't he just buy the 1994 turbo?

But in his thread about his new truck, he said it was a 5 speed

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52063
I quote" super positive shifting, a 5 speed tranny, and more balls than a four peckered billy goat."

As for the dealer, i'm sure they had no clue what was wrong with the truck, the previous owner did it to quite it down for the trade in

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
overdrive auto in the 94, was shifting positively each gear including the OD snapped right too. even better than the 93. If I recall the dealer called it a 4speed +OD thus the confusion.

Black dawg

Reaction score
No, it didnt look like the grease was the work of the dealer. Looked like the drain/fill plugs had been untouched for quite a while.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
overdrive auto in the 94, was shifting positively each gear including the OD snapped right too. even better than the 93. If I recall the dealer called it a 4speed +OD thus the confusion.

No, it is 1, 2, 3, OD. That makes it a 4 speed auto

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tranny guy also said that stall speed is a poor way to judge a tq. he said that if you get a 2,000 stall converter and put it behind a V6 engine, it would stall at 1,500 rpm. take the same exact tq and put it behind a V8 and it would stall at 3,000 rpm. so it all depends on what engine you are using the converter with.

Your tranny guy needs to go get some more training. This is coming from someone who spent over a decade working in a transmission shop and was the only person who worked on the diesels. All the stall rating means is when the convertor hooks up. Higher stalls will let the engine rev higher in its powerband before engaging. They will also hurt mileage. Every truck I own that has an automatic has a low stall built by Gillece in Pittsburgh, PA.

High stall is for racing and tractor pulls because you want the engine spinning to take advantage of the boost and higher horsepower. Low stall is for when you need the bottom end grunt of torque to keeping pulling for hours on end.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Your tranny guy needs to go get some more training. This is coming from someone who spent over a decade working in a transmission shop and was the only person who worked on the diesels. All the stall rating means is when the convertor hooks up. Higher stalls will let the engine rev higher in its powerband before engaging. They will also hurt mileage. Every truck I own that has an automatic has a low stall built by Gillece in Pittsburgh, PA.

High stall is for racing and tractor pulls because you want the engine spinning to take advantage of the boost and higher horsepower. Low stall is for when you need the bottom end grunt of torque to keeping pulling for hours on end.

Agreed;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
No, it didnt look like the grease was the work of the dealer. Looked like the drain/fill plugs had been untouched for quite a while.

That would make me check EVERY fluid, nut, bolt, screw and lugnut on that truck!!!

If I were to sell a vehicke, first thing I do is check the fluids, tires, breaks and all the things that count. That way I KNOW the condition it is in when it leaves my yard.

I am glad that it all worked out for you, but you should have a REAL good look at the rest of the truck while you have it apart. Check ALL the fluid levels at the bare minimum!!

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BELIEVE ME I am going to. I have heard of others trying to get by with that particular idiocy they figure the old transfer cases had heavy grease in em why not try it and see if it works in this modern one that way I don't have to replace the TC. I know it's idiocy but idiots are born every day. I just pray thats the ONLY stupidity committed on the truck. Like I said motor is great and the old girl has lotsa balls.........

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Bingo, if you put a high stall converter in a truck and try to tow on the road with it, you are going to sit there and witch the tach peg out while you are going nowhere due to the fact that the tranny is slipping like crazy and the fluid will get hotter than a firecracker. Most high stall converters are higher than the effective operating range of these things for pulling cookoo your fuelmileage runing on flats would be so terrible you would be scarred to pull into a station. Gassers are different than diesels, there's a reason that you don't have to rev up a diesel and slip the clutch with a manual trans, you have the torque off idle, the same goes for when you have it bolted to a slushbox, there is no reason to waste that torque.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Bingo, if you put a high stall converter in a truck and try to tow on the road with it, you are going to sit there and witch the tach peg out while you are going nowhere due to the fact that the tranny is slipping like crazy and the fluid will get hotter than a firecracker. Most high stall converters are higher than the effective operating range of these things for pulling cookoo your fuelmileage runing on flats would be so terrible you would be scarred to pull into a station. Gassers are different than diesels, there's a reason that you don't have to rev up a diesel and slip the clutch with a manual trans, you have the torque off idle, the same goes for when you have it bolted to a slushbox, there is no reason to waste that torque.

Then why does he put a high stall converter in every diesel that comes to him in need of a new tq? why do all his customers that get a new high stall tq have nothing but good things to say about the higher than stock stall speed converter? those customers don't use there trucks for drag racing or sled pulling either. He also said that a higer stall converter would give me an increase in about 2 mpg.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online