IM NEW

tnerb

Reaction score
well i just bought a 84 f250 with a 6.9 and a ats turbo kit and a 4spd. bought to hall snowmobiles boat and my 93 toyota rock crawler that is currently a work in progress. im a total diesel newbie and dont know squat all about them. i know i want to do the 5spd swap at some point. anything i should know about these trucks?

anyways just saying hi

Last edited by a moderator:

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Welcome. You found your source for the info you're looking for. Go through all the tech articles, then just browse as many old posts as you can stand. If you still need info, there are folks on here who have assembled and disassembled and have all the manuals. Just ask.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
welcome to OB...... good place to be. Sounds like you found yourself adecent truck. You can add you're trucks info to you're signature which is under the "user cp" up at the top of the screen. That way people will know what you have going on when you ask questions n stuff. anyways, good luck!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to the 4 speed and ATS setup. Will be a good tow/haul vehicle. The only real concern you have with that vintage truck is the head gaskets and the glow plug system. If your gaskets have ever been replaced you may not have to worry about that at all. The glow plug problem is best fixed by converting to a momentary toggle or upgrading to a 7.3 style solid state glow plug system.

tnerb

Reaction score
Head gasket done 2 years ago glow plugs just changed and are on a push type switch

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1, should give you years of strong service. Don't leave the glow plugs on longer than around 8 seconds if you want them to last.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
welcome to OB...... good place to be.

Our new slogan!

Welcome aboard, and this is a good place to be. There is about any kind of help you need on your IDI here, just ask and someone will be glad to give you the help you need.

And yeah, I'm thinking a 5 spd. swap would be cool as well.

I might also suggest that you either get some DCA additive test strips and check out your coolant, or change it with a low silicate antifreeze, distilled water (that's what they told me) and SCA additive. Or, you can do what I do and get some Fleet Charge at Tractor Supply. I just change mine out every year and that way I know I've got good SCA's and coolant. Keeps the system pretty clean as well.

Good luck with it.

Scott

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His last post was June 10. If you want to dig up more history on your truck, click his username, and then choose "find more posts by this user". So you have an 84' that looks like a 91' Bricknose. Well that balances out my 87 Bricknose that looks like an 84. LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His last post was June 10. If you want to dig up more history on your truck, click his username, and then choose "find more posts by this user". So you have an 84' that looks like a 91' Bricknose. Well that balances out my 87 Bricknose that looks like an 84. LOL

And my'86 looks like a '92-'97.LOL ;Sweet

I also want to say welcome and to have you here.:thumbsup:

Heath

tnerb

Reaction score
oh yes i forgot that part it has a 91 front clip