IH DMAXX pick-up

ELIHMAN

Reaction score
Guys Navistar is lauching a new road tractor called the Lonestar inspired by the late 30's D series trucks. Go to Navistar's website (International delivers) I think. They have street rodded a 1939 D series pick-up with a 6.4 twin turbo motor. Looking at the truck without raising the hood you would almost swear its stock. Look for the DMAXX heading. Eason http://www.internationaltrucks.com/LoneStar/DMAXX-Brochure.pdf

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that ever really makes it into production.........
I know a few guys who would be in line to take one home.
Only neg comment I have is the reality of things. One, we're headed into a economic downturn and boutique models like that will get the ax first. Second, I really doubt any of you guys have driven a older pickup(like that vintage). If you have, you'll be screaming about the cramped cab. guys were a little smaller back then.
Still, it would be nice to see something like that make it to reality without being committed to a corporate death.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have said I wouldn't ever buy a brand new truck. If they put that DMAXX in a dealership I wouldn't be able to get there fast enough. If only they would re-release some of the classic designs without the cheesy modernizations they can't seem to resist making. DMAXX looks good. Lonestar not so good. Of course it would have to meet current safety standards but that would be the challenge. Oh and the less plastic the better. It would also be good if they took it seriously and marketed it just like a normal new vehicle instead of a watered down street version of a show vehicle priced 2x as high as it should be. They would sell I am sure. Especially if they made a CC 4x4 version.

Oh well I can just keep dreaming.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Tow cats right -most of the older trucks have little head or leg room.I have 2 47 dodge trucks in MA ( for sale-restorable-big 1 1/2 ton 2 1/2 ton)-made a living with one in the early 70s.I bet they have addressed that problem some way.I drove a 38-some late 30s binders-dodges on farms fell in love with the style.But all were crowded.I remember tying the steering wheel and running beside a Dodge throwing hay up to another teenager on the truck. Dam I miss those days.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who says they can't make them a little bigger dimensionally. It's the style that's so appealing. Just don't go everboard with retromodern styling. Leave it retro.

For example the fenders/headlights/grill on that truck look just awesome. Why change that in any way. It's not going to look better if it's changed. If you need to add a little length/width to the cab do it proportionally to the existing cab. And try to keep the small A-pillar as large ones create blind spots in front. I don't like driving new vehicles for this reason. I can see so much better at intersections and sidewalks in my older vehicles. In this way I think new vehicles are more likely to be involved in the wreck as you can't see as well to avoid it.

I can tell you I would love to see one of these old designs brought back with modern mechanicals. I know that I can always build one but it would be my life's work and I doubt I'd ever get to drive the thing as I would be too old by the time I got it finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online