Picked up a new truck

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it is. There are only 3 or 4 threads in the aluminum head. The spec from Ford is 14 ft/lbs of torque. So just beyond finger tight. I use a 1/4 inch flex head ratchet, fold the handle down and turn just the ratchet head with my fingertips.

On these, just when you think it's not tight enough an you need just a bit more, you need to stop. But I highly recommend using a good, calibrated torque wrench. It's not hard to strip one of them.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only did the one hole that blew, but it's nice to have more on the shelf. Plus I have 2 4.6's. Having done one in the garage and taking my time, I could do it on the shoulder if I had to. My cordless drill and a can of air is all you need. However, if you are relatively close to home, like mine was, I pulled the coil, plug and boot out and threw them in the console and unplugged that injector and limped it home.

That being said, I don't think it's as common as you think, you just hear about it happening.

I would only recommend using one of the quick fixes once. I haven't seen many of them but I don't think it's that common either. I had a friend own a 4.6 and never had one blow out.