If I was to get a newer Ford Diesel what is the year of choice?

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 6.0 and loved it. Was the first year being 03. I fixed the problems it had and it ran great without any issues. Egr delete with different coolant and a programmer and some more little things I can't remember. Tuned to as hot as I could get for about 50,000 miles and never any issues. So I think a couple design flaws but overall great truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had my eye on an 06 6.0 for a while. crew cab dually *drool* 90k miles, leather, etc. Go talk to a cummins crowd and they'll tell you PS engines suck and don't last. talk to a duramax crowd and they'll say cummins break down too much etc.

FordTech92

Reaction score
Contrary to what everyone is telling you. The 6.0 and 6.4 do have some common problems, but over all they are very reliable if maintained and if they have been taken care of. I work on these trucks everyday, majority of them being fleet trucks, that average 10K mile oil changes, most the time these trucks don't even get the fuel filters replaced till they start running like crap and they bring them in. The key is maintenance, it plays a big part in how long something last. I have never removed the cab of a 6.4 or 6.0 to work on it. you can do any work to either of them in your driveway.

I'd recommend having a good diesel mechanic take a look at the truck before you purchase one. the 6.0 and 6.4 do have there problems but most of them can be avoided. there is plenty of 6.0 and 6.4 that are running around with over 400,000 on them. if your looking at a 6.0 I would reccomend 03-04 models, they are the most reliable.

The 7.3 idi is my favorite, theres just alot of people out there that dog the 6.0 and 6.4 and it really has nothing to do with the engine itself, its more of the people that have worked on them, that dont know how to work on them that gives them a bad name. Theres also the people that have never laid hands on one that will call them junk, when they dont have the slightest clue.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have several 6.0's where I work also. Several in buses and one in a f550. They run and give no problems. But if I bought one, I would expect the worst, then I am never disappointed.

A guy I work with bought a used 2004 single cab 6 speed with a 6.0. It was a little beat up here and there, it was used on a farm. He got a pretty good deal on it($9000) but after buying it, he learned to hate it and sold it. Granted he never did any research and tried to fix the problems it had. When it was started cold, it would run very rough, you would have to run it about 20 minutes down the road, and when it finally warmed up it ran like a champ. And he hated the clutch. I believe it may have been wore out, it would release very close to the floorboard.

What surprised me was the power of the engine. On a idi, granted you do not have much power but when you hit the pedal, what you have is all there. On this 6.0 you hit the pedal and the engine goes what? You really have to wait for the turbo to build up, and then it runs great, and really jerks a heavily loaded trailer around with no problem.

Last edited:

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If I had the money for a newer truck and an egr delete/head studs, I would buy a 6.0 in a heartbeat. Of course, I would require one that was well maintained....but I require that for anything I buy.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 6.0 and loved it. Was the first year being 03. I fixed the problems it had and it ran great without any issues. Egr delete with different coolant and a programmer and some more little things I can't remember. Tuned to as hot as I could get for about 50,000 miles and never any issues. So I think a couple design flaws but overall great truck.

how much did that set ya back?

Background: On April 13, 2011, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation created MDL No. 2223, In re: Navistar 6.0L Diesel Engine Products Liability Litigation, and transferred seven lawsuits involving similar claims to the Court for pretrial proceedings. Thirty-two additional lawsuits have since been transferred to the Court. The plaintiffs contend that the 6.0-liter diesel engine installed primarily in 2003 - 2007 heavy-duty Ford trucks and vans contains defects that result in poor performance and expensive repair bills. Plaintiffs assert a variety of legal claims against Ford based on the engine’s design, the marketing of the vehicles, and Ford’s repair practices. Plaintiffs seek to pursue their lawsuits (the “Litigation”) as a class action on behalf of other owners and lessees of model year 2003_2007 non-ambulance Ford vehicles equipped with a 6.0 liter diesel engine (the “Class”).

For complete information on the pending settlement, your legal rights, and obtaining and filing forms, visit: http://www.dieselsettlement.com/Casedocuments.html

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I recall it's was less than a grand. I did it before It needed anything else. The egr cooler is first to go causing every other problem. Actually the coolant is the source of problems being that the silica kills the cooler, cooler dies bringing temps up and turning coolant to sludge and without cooling the hg goes. It's all preventable. Most reliable truck I've ever had and I've had more than a handful. The 6.9/7.3 is a close second but probably only due to mileage.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, let me tell you about myself. First the diesel trucks I have had over the years. 84 F250 IDI, 94 F250 PSD, 01 Chevy 2500 Dmax, and currently 84 F250 IDI.

I was a Ford diesel master in 2007, and am currently a Navistar tech, I do mostly engine work if I can help it.

the 6.0s caught a bad rep to quickly, and IMO they are better motors then the 6.4s. I have done many repairs on a 6.0 truck, and have never once had to remove the cab, there are tricks.

I think the best year for the 6.0 was the first year, they seem to have held up the best. The 6 speed trucks drive like crap when they arent broken, you just cant seem to shift them right, witch is odd, because the 7.3 super duty 6speed trucks shift so sweet.

I would recommend with your price point, and expectations out of the truck, for a 03-04 6.0 truck, parts arent to crazy priced, they held together well, the transmissions are good units, and generally speaking, you would have on your hands a solid truck.

Thats just my opinion, you can pick up the 6.0 trucks for cheap because they have such a bad rep, but they are good trucks, with a few issues. People also had such a bad time with dealers fixing them incorrectly, put a general bad taste in the mouths of some owners.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I think the best year for the 6.0 was the first year, they seem to have held up the best. The 6 speed trucks drive like crap when they arent broken, you just cant seem to shift them right, witch is odd, because the 7.3 super duty 6speed trucks shift so sweet.

I would recommend with your price point, and expectations out of the truck, for a 03-04 6.0 truck, parts arent to crazy priced, they held together well, the transmissions are good units, and generally speaking, you would have on your hands a solid truck.

What is it about the early 6.0's that helps them hold up better? I've always heard that they were supposed to have improved the engine after 05.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've always heard the last year of production was best/most reliable.

I like my 94 Powerstroke. Has been pretty reliable. Of course I'm only coming up on 200k, and the engine is supposedly lower mileage.
I'm slowly making it "my truck."

I like the 6.0's also, love the 6.7.
Would also take a duramax any day.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i cant stand the turbos on 6.0s and the fuel mileage.. if they only made 7.3s with common rail :-D

FordTech92

Reaction score
Whats wrong with the 6.0 turbo or the fuel mileage? The 6.0 normally averages 16-17 in town and 19-21 on the highway. I always thought that was pretty good.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Whats wrong with the 6.0 turbo or the fuel mileage? The 6.0 normally averages 16-17 in town and 19-21 on the highway. I always thought that was pretty good.

they sound like theyre at full boost all the time. id got tired of hearing turbo spool constantly... and its a different pitch then older trucks.

fuel mileage depends on the truck. the truck i drove was a hook lift F550.. yeah it was a little faster off the line but the F450 7.3L PSD felt like it didnt work as hard.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't compare fuel mileage between a 250/350 with 3.73 or 4.10 and the 450/550 with 4.30 or 4.88's

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7