Idling high???

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed the truck was idling higher when I got home the other day, haven't touched a thing. It used to be around 850 -900 but it was at 1100. Started it again the next day and it was about 900 but later it was back at 1000 then 1100 again.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks,

-Rob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely your advance piston is sticking. Or possibly the govenor assembly. Dose it up heavily with a lubricity additive. You may be working towards a new IP in any event.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
on another note Mel,
You know my schedule, go away for a month, home for two weeks. So maybe drive 300miles every 6 weeks.

The last two times I've been home when I first start driving the truck and I push in the clutch, the engine drops to 400 before it picks up back to 700rpm idle.
I bought some powerservice to add this time. What the reccomended treatment for a moose pump?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does sound like things might be getting a little goey. I use Howes Diesel Treat in mine, and mine sits a lot more than yours probably does, although inside and in a controlled environment. You say when you first start driving... it clears up for you then? What are you using for water filtration?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I've got the standard waterblock filter with drain, the Wix 33417 I think?
anyway, it gets drained, no water, and I fill the fuel tanks before I leave out (full tanks=less condensation).

and yes, after a good 40-50miles it seems to not be a problem anymore.
Luckily I put 1200miles on this time off (2weeks). I really need to either run the truck more or sell it (the first $4500 takes it).

Drew

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
on another note, in a few months I'll have my 30by50 ft shop built, and the truck can sit inside with all my other peices of machinery in the yard.