IDIs are missed

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'd almost bet that there's more IDI's out there making their living TO THIS DAY than there are all PSD's combined. They're simple, reliable, and just won't die without a hell of a fight!

Maybe not more IDI's than 7.3 PSD's but definitely more IDI's than good running 6.0's :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I have always held the bricknose 86 Ford front end up as the sexiest looking truck in my book....

Me too, but don't confuse your noses. Bricknoses are the 87-91 body style. Slant noses are the ones you and I love.

cornbinder 84

Goat Rancher
Reaction score
I hauled a load of steers this weekend for my buddy because his 2001 Dodge has the dead pedal. He's got an injector pump ordered for it now. The old IDI just keeps chugging along and I have a grand total of $450 in it now. It is loud, belches smoke, and will only go 65 mph but it is paid for and has never not done what I have asked of it.

Attachments

• 100_0609.JPG
    100_0609.JPG
    904.5 KB · Views: 25

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Good. "Bull noses", I like it. I call my '86 flat bed dually "The Bull" because the look and the work it does for us here in the farm. I put some bull horns at the front on the hood. My wife hates those horns but I like how the truck looks with them :backoff. I'll take a picture tomorrow, it's too dark now to walk the 700 feet to where I have that truck parked.

Thanks, everybody, for the replies to my note. May the Lord our God bless y'all and bless America too.

Burt.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe not more IDI's than 7.3 PSD's but definitely more IDI's than good running 6.0's :D

You call a 6.0L a good running engine? What are you smoking???
Yeah they're fast, but they proved time and time again that they're not as relaible as the 7.3L PSD they replaced.
You just can't beat the stubborn reliability of an IDI. Dad's '90 (in my sig) has 354,*** miles on it, and has never had the factory seal cracked on anything but the water pump, starter, and thermostat. Although, we did replace the tranny aabout 12k ago, but it wasn't the original one anyway, and was replaced once before dad bought it in '98, so it don't count.
If I ever own anything other than an IDI, I want it to be a 7.3L, 6.4L or 6.7L PSD.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love IDI's ( obviously ), but there isnt anything wrong with the 6.0's that couldnt be prevented. Most of the issues after the disasterous 03-04 run come because people modify them and expect them to deal with it. My stepdads headgaskets didnt start letting go until he got the magnaflow exhaust, SCT livewire with innovative diesel tunes, and the banks ram air intake. His EGR delete, studs and gaskets were covered under warranty if he bought the parts and just recently it made 420 HP, 810 Ft.lbs on a street tune, the dyno wouldnt load right to do the full race tune to its fullest. The 6.0's have their issues but they are an amazing motor IMO.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Yeah they're fast, but they proved time and time again that they're not as relaible as the 7.3L PSD they replaced.
You just can't beat the stubborn reliability of an IDI. Dad's '90 (in my sig) has 354,*** miles on it, and has never had the factory seal cracked on anything but the water pump, starter, and thermostat. Although, we did replace the tranny aabout 12k ago, but it wasn't the original one anyway, and was replaced once before dad bought it in '98, so it don't count.
If I ever own anything other than an IDI, I want it to be a 7.3L, 6.4L or 6.7L PSD.

I think you misread his post.

FordDZLMan9191

Diesel addict
Reaction score
My 6.9 is my first diesel truck. Even though it doesn't put down 500hp or 1000 ft-lbs. of torque, I still love it. The biggest thing I love about it so far is that parts are cheaper than a PSD or Cummins. I tried to sell my truck and now I'm glad that I didn't have any serious offers on it. I wasn't really a big fan of the body style but now that I've had the truck for a while, its grown on me and I've come to like it. My favorite body style is the OBS trucks, and I really miss the 2 I've previously owned. I think that I got a dang good truck for only paying $600. So far I've only got less than $50 into her, and a long way to go to fix everything, but its still a good truck. Built Ford Tough. No other way to say it.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score

Oh no no no no no!!!! :D You misunderstood me completely :D Trust me I'm an IDI and 7.3 PSD fan through and through.

I meant there are more old IDI's on the road than good running 6.0's--and there are VERY few good running 6.0's out there. I dislike the 6.0's more than most people out there for many different reasons.

That said I wouldn't mind finding a nice F350 (even a King Ranch :sly) with a blown 6.0 and a manual trans and swapping in an IDI.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet I actually like that better, but don't recal that term being used. I say we adopt it! :D

I'm gonna get my noses all confused here after this. When i hear Bullnose i think of the old Kenworth bullnose trucks :hail Those are sweet looking trucks.

Last edited:

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prettiest Girl at the Ball...

Call me crazy, but I'll take the girl with calloused hands and a farmers tan any day... How 'bout them cowgirls! :love:

I like my women and trucks "Built Ford Tough"

Had guys offer me anywhere from $2000-5000 for my IDI, and every time the reply is the same. "Not for sale." Why sell and buy something else when I already have the best?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online