Idi vs powerstroke?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a simple engine... it only seems that way. Once the problems begin, you realize it isn't.

for a "modern" diesel they are simple. Compared to an IDI that needs 1 wire to run....complicated...it's all relative.

I have 450k+ miles between both my PSD, neither have ever left me stranded. The only "major" repair on either was a vacuum pump on the 97.

Everything else is original on the 97 and the 99 aside from usual maintenance on 20 year old trucks.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
for a "modern" diesel they are simple. Compared to an IDI that needs 1 wire to run....complicated...it's all relative.

Yes, its all relative. HEUI just isn't simple. Common-rail is a step simpler again (if you ignore/delete the emissions aspect).

All my trucks have been work-trucks. The IDIs and 6BTs all have or had more miles, less problems, and just cheaper to run/maintain than the two PSDs (95 F350 & 97 E350). The pickup wasn't as troubling as the van (more miles, and auto). Since these Fords were the newest/best condition vehicles I've ever owned, I expected better from the engines.

I'll stick with my mechanical marvels.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a ford guy but I’d rather work with a common rail system than heui any day. Mechanical rules all tho

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
My specific problem is I know for what I need to do if need even a powerstroke turned up and chipped. My idi is pretty much at the limit without going to headstuds and a bigger pump. I purchased a new trailer that weighs 8000lbs empty. I know the idi will drag it around but wouldn’t be able to pull it loaded down. I know the powerstroke turned up would be a lot more power. I really need even more than that but I won’t buy a diesel for myself past the 7.3 powerstroke

FUMMINS :sly

Richard Clasby

Reaction score
I had a 1995 PS with a big down pipe, straight pipe exhaust and a 5 position ship. It was more powerful than the IDI turbo but very loud without a muffler. I've also had 2 IDIs with Banks Sidewinders. There is really not much of a difference in power as a Daily driver between the first generation PS and the IDI with a turbo. The PS has a snappier throttle response but once on the freeway they're very comparable. I don't haul, I just use the bed to move equipment so I can't speak to heavy hauling but I don't think there's a huge difference in any of them. They're all big heavy trucks and not very fast. Make sure and drive a PS before you think its a big upgrade. I don't think it is. By the way I've also owned a 92 F250 with the 5.8 and a 95 F250 with the 460. They were both "no speedsters" either. The 5.8 really seemed to be the quickest. But I almost ran out to gas a few times with the 460 in the desert...when you get low on fuel there better be a gas station close. I barely got 8 MPG. Today, I drove my 91 IDI Banks Dually to Desert Springs and back today (100 mi) on the California 10 freeway. Everybody goes high 70s and so do I. Up and down big grades in the high desert with no problems. I average 15MPG city and highway combined so no complaints here. I think the IDI with the turbo is the best power, MPG and reliability you can get in an relatively inexpensive big truck that is smog exempt here in California. The only one that is close is the Dodge with the Cummins engine. The Cummins rocks but the Dodges of that era are not enjoyable to drive or ride in.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input. So far I’ve done 700 miles today in the idi going to Arizona and back and I’m averaging 21mpg hauling a new 20ft airstream

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1991 F250 2wd 7.3E4OD new, it pulled ok but any grades or high elevation left it wheezing, never pulled over 8000 lbs behind it and that was a challenge. no mods ever

sold it and bought a new 96 F250 4wd with a 7.3PSD and ZF also 3.55s pulled excellent with no mods other than a turn down after the convertor/muffler removed, it pulled 12,000lbs easy and was willing for more. sold it to buy a house.

later in life purchased a 1990 F350 2wd dually 7.3 idi ATS turbo 3.5" downpipe and bumped up to 4" with a Nelson straight through muffler and turn down. it pulled ok with the 4.10s and 215s but was limited by hills with only around 200 hp. bought at 180,000km , headgaskets at 220,000. sold at 260,000 .could carry more than the stock 96 powerstroke maybe another 2000lbs because of duals but could never accellerate even in the same league. sold it to a buddy when I found my next worker. he still has the truck more than 6yrs later.

my present driver is a 2003 E350 extended clubwagon with seating only for 5. it has the 7.3 PSd and 4r100. only mod it an old 2 position superchip program on tow safe.
it had 360,000 km on it 6.5 yrs ago when I got it. according to last owner it was on its original injectors and turbo. I haul up to 12,000lbs behind it, including my 3000lb empty trailer. I have hauled more but with SRW and a semifloat 60 in the rear its a little shaky. power wise its not even maxed out at 14,000 lbs pull, and it has 3.55s and even an oversize tire 235/85/16s on it. at 540,000km last week it is still running on its original injectors and turbo. in 6 yrs I've doen waterpump twice, vacuum pump once, turbo up pipes and seals once, replaced a worn through steel fuel line under the turbo(3 months ago), 2 batteries (soon need at least one ) and a used starter.

anybody who has reliability issues with a 7.3 powerstroke has purchased one that hasn't been serviced or is not servicing it. use high quality oil and filters and only buy quality fuel!

I've owned both used and new and the powerstroke has been cheaper for me to run no questions

all my vehicles I drive hard empty and careful when loaded but I don't baby them. my friends say I drive them like I stole them:angel::cheers:

depending on the amount of loaded trailer driving you will be doing why not keep you idi and buy an older medium duty to haul your trailer? if you get one with hydraulic brakes your present drivers licence should be fine. and your loaded trailer won't be testing your braking limits.

reading through this thread there are some good ideas and advice .................... good luck on your decision.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The fuel consumption of the my PSDs was noticeably more than the IDI or CTD.

The Cummins rocks but the Dodges of that era are not enjoyable to drive or ride in.

The 4x4 dodge is a rough ride stock. However, I'd say I've built my W250 to ride similar to the F350 it replaced. The 2wd Dodge is a nice ride... its why I'm purposely building a 2wd ramcharger for a daily-driver.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel consumption of the my PSDs was noticeably more than the IDI or CTD.

same gears same tires,same vehicle , a stock 7.3 powerstroke will equal or better fuel economy than a 7.3 idi. unless you flog it!
anybody I've done fuel calculations for with a 5.9 cummins pre 24valve is slightly lower mpg #s than either 7.3 .
stick shifts are better for either. I heard lots of 30mpg claims from 5.9 cummins owners but when you crunch the numbers................ then the bragging stops.

the more mods for power , the more fuel you use except for opening the exhaust.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
same gears same tires,same vehicle , a stock 7.3 powerstroke will equal or better fuel economy than a 7.3 idi. unless you flog it!

Wasn't happening. The IDI and CTD were about on par for mileage... with the PSD's fuel bill coming in ~20% higher. Same drivers, same trips. Typical or not, it was discouraging.

threegenpowerstroke98

Reaction score
As somebody who's driven every iteration of the 7.3, I'd go a with a powerstroke. Better ride, more power parts are more expensive but reliability seems to be better. A simple chip will make a huge difference power wise and they'll never make enough power with sock injectors to do any serious damage.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't happening. The IDI and CTD were about on par for mileage... with the PSD's fuel bill coming in ~20% higher. Same drivers, same trips. Typical or not, it was discouraging.

comparing summer consumption to winter fuel consumption?

empty my 2003 7.3 powerstroke van can get 16-17mpg winter driving (better if I drive it like everybody else), winter fuel with lots of idling time to warm up the big beast. but I can get real close to 25mpg in the summer on better fuel and no warm up time needed. I do not haul my trailer in the winter for "survival " reasons

my sister has a 98 dodge 250 ext cab 2wd with a 5.9 cummins automatic , a lot less km than my van but almost as heavy I would guess. they can just break 20mpg in the summer basically never pulls a load, it is in the 12-15mpg in the winter.

her hubby was claiming 30mpg with it until I took his fuel numbers and figured it out> his fuel receipts showed 18.4mpg. they also own a Tourag diesel and a passat diesel, silly buggers!

7.3 powerstrokes rule! I'm not jaded , I'm opinionated. as a T/C mechanic I hate spending time and money on my own vehicles> my old van has topped all I've owned for maintenance costs!