Idi vs powerstroke?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im considering selling my f350 idi. It has the banks sidewinder kit 7.3 and runs great. But I just need a bit more power. For anyone that’s owned both how would you say the powerstroke runs in comparison?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
For me the 7.3 Powerstroke begins where the IDI ends. I have both. In 2002 we traded in our 90 F250 5spd 7.3 that I had rebuilt, ported heads, Banks "square" turbo kit,straight through muffler, turned up pump, on a 96 F250 CCSB. The 90 ran good surprised a lot of people. Not as good as it could now with Conestoga "Mel's" developments.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Bought the 96 and the wife said so what is the big deal with this Powerstroke? Added intake, exhaust, and chip....OH I see now. Added 160/0 (AC) injectors OHH! What is an IDI? I forgot....
Of course the simplicity of the IDI is a nice plus.
250hp IDI....on the edge pay attention! 250hp DI set and forget. 350 no BIG worries just watch EGT.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The performance for me is a non factor, either can be made to be great performers and cost about the same. The idit turned up exceeds the stock obs psd in towing performance (I have both) but like I said either can be made to make any power number you like.

That being said, which one would you rather break down on the side of the road with? I know which one I would pick.

You already have invested a good amount of money in your idi and even if you sell it, a psd is valued higher in our market area, so what you will sell your truck for with all the work done will probably buy you a stock psd that most likely needs some work before it can make you money.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My specific problem is I know for what I need to do if need even a powerstroke turned up and chipped. My idi is pretty much at the limit without going to headstuds and a bigger pump. I purchased a new trailer that weighs 8000lbs empty. I know the idi will drag it around but wouldn’t be able to pull it loaded down. I know the powerstroke turned up would be a lot more power. I really need even more than that but I won’t buy a diesel for myself past the 7.3 powerstroke

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try an intercooler in your idi, for towing it’s a must imo, it’s a cheap upgrade and if you still decide to go with a psd then you can modify that a bit to work on the psd

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both, and I love both.
but the cost of the PSD and the headaches are what made my IDI my daily driver.
power vs power there is no comparison. the PSD wins hands down.
when it comes to reliability, the IDI has it in the bag.
not saying PSD are not reliable, but a lot less things can go wrong on an IDI.
be the turtle or the hare, both will get you there.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't have headstuds on my IDI. I've driven all the PSD's. when you come down to the details, I'll redo the gearing on my IDI and hook a !5k plus load and be happy.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, my decision is between buying a new Truck and doing the tune and some mods or keep mine and invest in a new hot rod injection pump. My main concern is with my new trailer being almost 8k lb empty that won’t leave me much room to put some weight on it.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have ridden in a rig(idi) with a cam,pump,intake,and inj.....
Not remotely like a stock idi.

Gearing will help, Pump up the idi.
Save the cash for fuel.
I have pulled 18k# (scaled gvw) with a junior banks and bb's. It did not suck much.

Just my .02

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Funny all the problems folks have with the 7.3 PSD. In the last 15 years I have put 1 cam position sensor in as a forced repair (still got home) 1 clutch and flywheel and everything else was just PM of an aging vehicle. I do like the 91 a lot with the Junior Moose on it. Both continue to get better as I have time to spend on them. Just built a new engine for the 96 for tow and dd...460 hp 1,000 ft lb at the crank. Decided not to buy a newer truck and invest in the simplicity of the 7.3 psd. Still love the 91 too haul cows and horses all the time with it, heads never been off yet!

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My idis will go up a hill faster while being towed by my 6.0 than under their own power but I've spent less money on both trucks including purchase than in the psd's engine alone ;)

Now that doesn't mean that they can't pull a load. I'm more than happy with my N/A 4.10 and 215 tires. It always gets me and my load where we need to be. My truck is probably paying me to drive it by now lol

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, my decision is between buying a new Truck and doing the tune and some mods or keep mine and invest in a new hot rod injection pump. My main concern is with my new trailer being almost 8k lb empty that won’t leave me much room to put some weight on it.

Do you know what weight you are going to be towing? .... seems that with an 8k trailer you aren't going to have much payload

Maybe if you want to be towing heavy and regularly you could ditch the trailer and go for something like the F600 with ramps .... that way you could keep the 350 for light duty towing and comfortable d/d.

Even something like this 88 F800 with ramps and 2 speed rear end along with the straight six diesel for $3200. https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-ford-f800/6413004977.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Staff online