IDI on WMO update

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Well fellas it looks like the man is going to sell me a few more gallons of diesel while I secure my WVO source, and adapt my refinery to better handle WVO as opposed to WMO.

I’m satisfied that an IDI will run quite well on WMO, especially filtered down to 2 microns, and heated to 170° before it hits the injection pump. However, this stuff cokes. Even though I’ve been religiously shutting down on #2, and extending my purge times up to 15 minutes, my truck developed a hard start condition at anything less than 70°. So yesterday I drove around all day on diesel got home and let it idle in the driveway for 10 more minutes. So I knew I had 100% #2 in the system when I shut her off. 50° this morning, and truck was hard to start.

So I pulled a GP to have a look, and my suspensions were confirmed. The GP unscrewed nicely, but wouldn’t come out of the hole. So I grabbed a hold of it and twisted it back and fourth and gradually worked it out. (this GP is about a year old by the way) As I suspected, nearly the entire part of the GP ‘probe’ is coked up. Most of it was surely knocked off during the removal process, but I had a fairly thick yellow coating all over most of the plug with heavy thicker black carbon buildup near the threads.

I don’t think I’ve done any damage to my injectors yet as the truck runs and drives well with no new noise or smoke, though they probably aren’t producing a very nice spray pattern. I’m thinking the hard starting is being caused by the thick layer of coke built up on the GPs, sort of an early indication of bigger problems if I continue down this path. This is more than likely aggravated by coke that is building up on the injectors and slowly filling the pre-cups.

My plan is to drive the truck all this week on #2, do some hi-temp runs and see if my starting returns to normal. If not, I’ll pull the GPs and clean them, and if that doesn’t do it, I’ll do the same to the injectors. But I think I caught it early enough that several days on #2 will straighten her out. Then I’m going switch to veggy and see where I end up. Just wanted to keep you guys informed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rob-
I've heard reports of bio99 doing a pretty good job of cleaning things up, you might want to try running that stuff for a while to see if it will clean out the soot. Also, what was the concerntration or WMO were you running?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Thanks Calvin, thats a good Idea. It's actually available not far from here. For the purpose of this type of testing I was running 100% WMO. I figured that would give me and others a good idea of what to expect at the max.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow.....100%.....don't do that again. Just about everything I have read on running "alternative" oils(motor oil, gasoline, kerosene, jetfeul) the "safe" limits was at 50%. Most if not all airport diesel ground equipment gets a steady diet of jetfeul at 100% but the pump timing has been changed as well as the feul rate. With the chokers in their fleet, the ECM gets reprogramed, so that makes it a little easier. But as far as the "heavy" oils goes, 50% should be the theoretical upper limit with the remaining cut be straight diesel or bio99.
Thanks for volunteering to be the lab rat tho. ;Sweet

added in edit....
just to clarify the gasoline mix...10% is the upper limit. This was determined by the engineers at MBZ.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Hey Rob is it only starting hard or do you have the romps too mine has been starting hard but I've had the air romps but can't find any leaks and this all started before I ran 100% WVO but I beleive all it is is my mix in my diesel tanks is to high for the cold nights we been having low 40's when the tanks are mostly diesel it starts much better

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Oh I forgot rob one other thing I found that has caused me problems is that I get the tank alot fuller then from the pumps and the wvo has gummed up my tank vent making a vacum on the tank

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
No romps Aric, Just hard starting. By hard starting I mean about 10 seconds of cranking after the GPs go out. Normally on #2 it will light right off even at 5°. I've even done it with the fast idle and timing advance disconnected.

So I really dont think its a big deal yet, but I thought I should switch over to veggy, or at least a lesser blend while the problem is minimal. I'd like to get the truck back to normal and try straight heated veggy like you are.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Wow!
I've been runnin 12% on each tank fill and have noticed about a 1 mpg increase on the economy side of things. GPs looked fine 2 weeks ago but still racking up the miles for further results. So far so good. Still saves me $12-13 per fill-up. :rolleyes:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Good to hear. So it sounds like there is promise from a blending perspective. I just wanted to run some tests and find out what would happen. I think this information is good for all of us. At least now you can say you knew of a guy that ran it 100%, and after 100 or so gallons, he was starting to see a hard starting condition due to coking of the glow plugs, so he backed off. I would think with this info, we can come up with a general blend that we are comfortable with.

I’m still waiting for conformation of my coked GP theory, but it seems to be the case. After only one day of straight #2, she’s already straitening out. I would describe this morning as, she started a little weird, as opposed to a hard start. I’ll let you guys know if/when she is back to 100% normal, and what it took to get her there.

sassyrel

Reaction score
thats why i said originally at idi weekend that you need to have your water mist running--this acts as a cleaning agent every time you have boost--the steam clean effect should keep the deposits out of there--though havent done mine yet---also--what micron filtered to??? was thinking of rigging another filter on my setup--a cat 1r-750---this would take the filtering to 2 microns--the amsoil b100 takes it to 1 micron--but youd have to set this up seperately--as you have to move it slow thru them to get the stuff out--

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Is that you scooter? AKA 94turbo? Ya, that's what I'm using the CAT 1R-0749. Good point on the water injection.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Rob,

I have been communicating with rthomas and he has beeen running 12% far longer than me without any problems. He has experimented with stronger %'s but found without an additive, the cetane rating drops he feels.
I have added some PS and can notice a difference while getting on it with the additive and the 12%.
Gonna keep with that mix for now even thru the winter months and see where she ends up this spring.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Just FYI guys. The truck corrected itself after about 5 days of just normal driving. I'm now running a 80 WMO to 20 diesel mix with a double dose of diesel klean. (power service in the gray bottle) I've also secured a veggy source, but I want to test this blend with the WMO I have left first. This is of course with my fuel heat exchanger, and heated coolant filter, as I described in the other thread.