IDI Mechanic in the IN/MI area?

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
I've put off this project too long I need to decide what I'm going to do...I've been sneaking around here for a bit now absorbing all I can, and checking out the IDI area on another site too. I have my first IDI, a 94 F350 Crew Cab 4X4 auto. It runs well, I must say I am very surprised with it power wise, having owned 2 strokers and some highly modified Cummins over the years. To the point: it has what I believe to be a leak associated with the oil cooler when it sits in the cold for any length of time. I have not been able to actually see the location where the oil comes out, but from what I've read and word of mouth I'm 99% sure. I may need to start driving this truck daily at the first fo the year and I don't know if I will have time to take on a project such as this, being I have no experience with these and I will be on a 2 week vacation at the end of the month. Is there a mecahnic in the northern IN/southern MI area that is reputable with these trucks that I could get a quote from? Any tips appreciated, thanks!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imho it's worth the effort to contact DDC and drive up to his place.

And before you ask, DDC stands for DslDogCatcher on here, real-life name Ron, and hes from the Grand Rapids area of MI so kinda in the area you're seaching thrugh.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
actually Ron is a lot closer to the indiana border than he is to Grand Rapids if I remember correctly - his place it out in the middle of no where - it's pretty remote - the cell phone pretty much becomes nothing more than a time piece when you turn down his road.... but Ron is the guy you are looking for.... he does this type of stuff on the side and is pretty decent on price and his workmanship is top notch. I have seen it more than once....

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...I'll look him up. IDK what I'm gonna do for sure, I need to get a general idea how much it's gonna cost to fix this thing, and decide how much $$ I want to put into it. 6 months ago I wouldn't have blinked an eye, but I will be starting a new job the first of th year and it's only about 5 miles from home. Truth is a gasser would serve me better for daily driving now...I guess I'll start a new "whats it worth" thread and see if it's worth selling or just keeping...

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
actually Ron is a lot closer to the indiana border than he is to Grand Rapids if I remember correctly - his place it out in the middle of no where - it's pretty remote - the cell phone pretty much becomes nothing more than a time piece when you turn down his road.... but Ron is the guy you are looking for.... he does this type of stuff on the side and is pretty decent on price and his workmanship is top notch. I have seen it more than once....

You are correct...acording to the town listed in his sig. he's about 40 miles from me. Sent himi a PM thanks guys! ;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling that cooler is the dirtiest, messiest job I have ever done on a vehicle. Antifreeze and oil dribbling out all over the place, including me.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, I figured it would be like that to, it was with the oil after I got the cooler out. But theres a brass plug by the oil filter that can be taken out to drain the antifreeze from the cooler. I removed the temp sensor right above the cooler allowing everything to drain faster.