IDI HP, boost, compression.

jesshwarren

Reaction score
Hey I am wondering how many of you are running a modified IDI with big HP.

post your HP #'s comp ratio & lb's of boost you are running.

I am currently working on a high HP IDI.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really...... What hp are you trying to make? Most here know Ken and he is about the only one making BIG hp out of an idi.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HP? Too chicken to throw it on a dyno and have the PSD gang laugh. :eek:
C/R...stock 22:1
boost...5lbs
mods...yes. turbo, IC and tweaked Ip. That's it.
Truck keeps up with most other trucks and cars...truck gets the job done and gets me home without leaving me stranded...that's good enough for me. ;Sweet

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
mine makes a bone crunching 67hp at the rear wheels....

the other day, at a stop light, there was this lil pimp in a dodge aries..... I knew I could take him.
light turned green, and we both floored it.
man, it was loud, smokey.... about 45 seconds later i looked over and I was beating him, of course than we realized we'd only gone 100ft tops.

yeeehaw.

jesshwarren

Reaction score
icanfixall said:
Really...... What hp are you trying to make? Most here know Ken and he is about the only one making BIG hp out of an idi.

I don't want something crazy. I am dropping comp to 18-1. Studding the head, I want 400HP to the ground. I am using custom rods and pistons with a custom turbo setup.

The truck I bought for this project is a 93 f350 sw with 150k 7.3l idi.

It will be a month or 2 till it's done.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Well, then you'll definately want to introduce your wallet to Ken @ DPS. He's about the only one I can think of, that can feed a monster like that.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
jesshwarren said:
I don't want something crazy. I am dropping comp to 18-1. Studding the head, I want 400HP to the ground . I am using custom rods and pistons with a custom turbo setup.

The truck I bought for this project is a 93 f350 sw with 150k 7.3l idi.

It will be a month or 2 till it's done.

;Sweet But I would venture to say that is "something crazy". Starting with less than 200 HP at the crank, you are effectively trying to raise crank horsepower about 2 1/2 times what it is stock (actually, maybe more).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If it comes to the ralley it will be towed. Thats not a grocery getter with that much hp. I really don't think you can pound out that much hp to the ground. Sure, it can be had at the crank but thats with custom rods at $2900.00 a set. The heads will need some cleanup work done and I have first hand knowledge how much work is involved there. You will need to clean up the entire air and exhaust path. Thats the intake, heads, exhaust manifolds and the turbine housing. Just the precup chambers alone will kill you if you don't know how to blind machine them with a ball end mill. Thats the easiest place to lower the compression to what you are looking for. The precups can be opened up some but don't go too much. Its too bad we can't by a high proformance cam for these motors. Adding grill gas, window washing fluid and nitrous will make the diesel burn better too. Nitrous will really cool down the exhaust temp because it goes in about -230 deg and its non flammable. What makes it work is it has another oxygem molecule in it. But hey... Give it your best shot and post back what works. We all like to hear either way if it works or not.

aaklingler

Reaction score
Your going to need to do some fueling work too, like maybe an inline, these pumps are only good for about 250hp. Good Luck.

jesshwarren

Reaction score
It takes time, test time, try it again think about it change it try it again. I will say this 400RWHP will not be here in a few months but I will be working in that direction.

The biggest HP killer on the 7.3L 6.9L IDI's is the comp.

I am half tempted to try something to start with, I am thinking of dropping a set of 94-99.5 PSD rods and pistons in to see how that combo works. Comp should be close to 16-1. Or a tad higher. I'll never know till I try it. Just want to see how it will affect the combustion of the fuel with that piston design. It may work OK.

I got tired of working on my other toy, www.rangersrevenge.com by the way that 2.3L ranger is making over 300RWHP with a larger set of injectors. Its fun but it's not a diesel. If I would have put all the $ I have in it into a 7.3L IDI I would be close to the 400HP mark by now.

Time will tell!

jesshwarren

Reaction score
aaklingler said:
Your going to need to do some fueling work too, like maybe an inline, these pumps are only good for about 250hp. Good Luck.

A local IP shop says they can get 300cc's a shot out of the stock pump. When I get there if it can't push enogh fuel I will upgrade.

aaklingler

Reaction score
jesshwarren said:
A local IP shop says they can get 300cc's a shot out of the stock pump. When I get there if it can't push enogh fuel I will upgrade.

Where are you at, I need one of them?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online