IDI Engine Removal

DieselSacPacker

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need some help removing an IDI engine. I couldn't find any tech articles on this motor for removal. Are there any threads someone could refer me to?

DieselSacPacker

Reaction score
I was thinking about swapping it out with another engine I could get cheaply. The engine in the truck has some broken glowplugs, so I was going to pull the motor, swap in the other and fix and sell the original motor or have as backup. I just wanted to know what steps to remove it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh I see.
Remove the radiator. Fan is optional, unless you need it for the other engine.
I like to drop the transmission out the bottom.
Removing the core support helps, but not a requirement. Same with the hood.
Disconnect fuel lines.
Remove the grounds. Starter.
Drop the oil and filter.
Really not a whole lot to it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH BOY...I can see all the flags going up now.

I'm of the remove hood, remove clip, leave transmission as is, and pull engine, IMHO and experience it's much easier than farting around pulling rad support alone...much more work involved.

Some will say lift up hood nice and high, and pull engine up and over...

Yet as already mentioned some say pull rad support and or hood...

Let us ask you first this one question,

How much experience/tools/time do you have? do you have the skills and tools?

This is not hard really but it's damn heavy!

SEARCH is your friend and you'll find tons of threads on engine removal and replacement

DieselSacPacker

Reaction score
I've swapped motors on mustangs and other gasser trucks, just never a diesel yet. I really just wanted to know of any things to watch out for or whether to drop the tranny or not. I have not found any threads about removal/replacement by searching or looking through tech articles which is why I started this thread.

youngunbd

Reaction score
Pop the hood off, pull the radiator, pop the fan off. Take off starter, bellhousing bolts. Undo the motor mounts in the middle. Pull forward, shake like hell to release then lift to the sky! Shes tall, heavy, awkward and awesome

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
With how heavy these ******** are, you're gonna want to drop the transmission.
Gonna need a really good heavy duty cherry picker.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for hood removal and leaving the core support. I left the trans in place. Make sure you remove the oil filter. I left mine on and it hung up on the crossmember, the I had a hell of a time getting it off. My cherry picker is nothing special, bought it at autozone... The one they had in stock.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These engines weigh in around 1100 lbs so a heavy cherry picker is required. Please remove the oil filter with the other mentioned items. Taking off all the accessories off the front of the engine will give you more working room. Most definitely remove the radiator. They are expensive to repair or replace. Its a long lift to remove them over the radiator core support too. When you install the other engine leave off the Rubber motor mounts so you have more room to line up the trans to the engine. Then lift the engine and trans to slide in the mounts. There is a right and left mount too and they have a direction how they fit. Do that wrong and the engine will not fit. Leave the metal brackets on the block too. Once you lift the engine out you will see the slots in the frame mounts. That design allows for easy installation or removal of the engine. Removing the 4 motor mount nuts between the frame and bracket is slow. I recall them to be 17mm nuts.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I can only wish you the best of luck, DieselSacPacker. And to let you know that things could be worse....... done this 3 times in 5 years! (I've never done this in a truck) Vans are WAY less user-friendly! :eek::eek::eek:

The third time was due to an incompetent machine shop..... if you need one, choose carefully! Still reassembling on this third session... :cry:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The engine is very heavy, and you will have to lift it high. Be aware that if it starts to swing side to side that you need to stop it immediately. Not saying don't do it--but just a warning from personal experience.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never pulled the front clip, just did it this way:

Pull the the radiator and hood. Then a small piece of 3/4" plywood in front of condenser if there is one and also remove the mechanical fan if so equipped. Remove the wiring from the engine that connects it to the firewall, fenders, any parts of the vehicle. Disconnect the tranny and if auto make sure the lines are safe from being caught or nailed by a turning engine. Oh yeah, the exhaust. I always replace the Y-Pipe or dual exhaust when reinstalling engines, and a quick bit or surgery on the sides with a sawzall makes quick work of it. Make sure the oil is drained from the engine as well as coolant before all of this, and as mentioned remove filter. But it IS a high lift for such a heavy engines. When we do tractor blocks, the lower the better so I can see the validity in removing the front clip. And this makes a perfect opportunity to degrease, clean, and paint any areas in the engine compartment. Or to change out any components that require it. Run new brake lines, any other project that needs to be done but would be clumsy in any other situation. And don't be too proud to bribe some friends with beer to help, but of course holding off on the beer for a few minutes helps.

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On these motors, because of the weight, I like to pull the core support out and also remove the front wheels and drop the truck down on blocks so I don't have to raise the motor any higher than I have to. If you do it this way, you do not have to remove the hood.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Usually leave hood and core support, but remove most stuff from the front of the engine, including crank pulley. I also will let the air out of the front tires to where the legs of the hoist just slide under the front diff. Gets the core support quite a bit lower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online