IDI 7.3 to powerstroke swap? E-350

paulr4

Reaction score
I am looking at 93 E-350 with an IDI 7.3 Non-turbo, the van's body is in great shape however the head gasket was blown and left to sit for a year or so. Mileage was 329k km (204k mi). Is there any hope for the motor? By my guess it would not really be worth it. The van is a fairly rare short body passenger so I would like to save it.

At the moment I am looking at swapping in a Motorcraft rebuilt 7.3 IDI complete. Considering the cost would it be better to swap to a powerstroke 6.0 or 7.3?

My main use is highway driving with some load but no heavy towing. I would like to maximize mpg. The rear end is already a 3.55.

Has anyone done to the IDI to powerstroke swap? Any advice would be appreciated.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help you much on the swap but can say that the PSD is a completely different animal from the IDI. Throttle is fly by wire and you'll need a host of other electrical wiring and electronics to do the swap. Best to do a swap like this when you have a doner vehicle.

Me I'd swap in another IDI or consider an IDIT if going the crate engine route.

I get slightly better fuel economy with my 7.3 N/A IDI than I do the 7.3 PSD so IMHO I don't think the Stroke is worth the consideration just for economy.

P.S. The IDI is much cheaper to maintain and repair too, seems like everytime something goes wrong on a powerstroke you drop another grand or 2 into it:cry:

paulr4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Electronics and cables could end up costing more than the mechanical stuff.

I like the idea of no computer in the IDIs. I have a 7.3l power stroke in a cube van, it only gets about 10-12mpg (not bad considering 70-80mph, avg 4000lbs load and some hills, my 460 only gets 6-8mpg).

What kind of mileage does your IDI get?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '90 dually with ZF5 averaged 18 mpg HWY with the 4.10 gears and 22 HWY with 3.08 gears. Towing $5k it averaged 15 mpg hwy.

The 2000 dually with 4R100 automatic avg about 17 mpg hwy, towing the same $5k it gets about 15 mpg hwy.

Both trucks are 2wd and the superduty is a crewcab and about 2000 lbs heavier.

It's pretty flat here and I'm a fairly conservative driver, take off easy at stop lights etc.(except when I wanna hear the turbo scream and smoke out a ricer with the PSD:D ). I usually cruise in the granny lane about 63 - 65 mph on the highway with the cruise on, I don't like fighting traffic anymore, I just let everbody pass me 5 or 6 times and I still beat them in the endLOL

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To do the swap you need a complete PSD van. I don't see the sense in decomissioning a newer van unless it is totaled including severe frame damage. Easier to swap your old body onto a newer van.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info, except I would look at one of the big engine remanufacturers like Dealers Diesel, Promar, Diesel Auto Services etc. Usually they will beat Ford hands down in price asnd you'll have a warranty. I'd probably just use the current 7.3 IDI as a core, since theres at least a fair chance that it was really cavitation or at least a cracked head that killed that 7.3. If it were really just a gasket, it wouldn't be that bad to fix. A cavitated motor costs a ton of money to fix right and one with bad overheat damage might never really be right again if you got it running. I'd get the IDI turbo motor or a turbo kit for your crate engine. Either way it will then behave much like your PSD cube van. With the O/D transmission and 3.55 gears I'd think you could get at least 15-16mpg highway empty with that setup, maybe 10-12 loaded to the gills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online