Ideas for a wmo setup

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After going through the 17 pages in this section ive decided I should just write out a list of how I think i should run wmo and then let you guys chime in on it...

My first question is for the tank could i use a old water heater?.....what I was thinking was water heater (prob would try and rig it up witha propane tank) and then have the pipe with the filters attached to the lower drain valve. The thing im not sure about is filtering, from the pics of seen it seems like people go higher micron rating to lower...so I would think going 20 to 10 to 5 to 1 would be good? and it would all just be fed into a portable tank/barrel that i could wheel out to the truck and pump in the wmo.

And its my understanding that its better to dilute the wmo with diesel and then filter down? Whats the max wmo/diesel mix you guys would run...ive read about a guy going 90/10 on a cummins on the diesel bomber site

What I would do b4 all of this is drop my front tank and clean it out b/c po said theres sediment in it....and my gameplan would be to have wmo mix in one tank and diesel in the other so i could fire it up and shut it off on diesel.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you can use a old water tank, if you want to get fancy then you could use the heater elements for faster filtering, warm WMO moves much easier. i used a 10 mic to 1 mic filter for years, i have also been prefiltering through some old jeans lately, that lets my filters last much longer. jeans make a nice cheap prefilter.

after the money i spent on setting up my original setup and a centerfuge i would skip straight to the centerfuge if i had to do it over again. pabiodiesel.com has great prices and is where i got my centerfuge from. you can see a pic of my set up here.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?55718-My-centrifuge-setup
nothing real fancy but having the long hose and extra pump to fill the tank like a gas station makes things MUCH nicer. i used to lug a 5 gallon can from my garage then dump it in my tank since my setup used to be in teh back of my garage. having a fuge gets the oil much cleaner and you dont have to constantly chenge the filters on your rig anymore, just wipe the fuge out. WMOGUY has a slick setup to where he did a video.

if you do go with the filters i would use regulated air pressure to push the oil through, if the filters stop flowing you do not have to worry about a pump burning out. and yes pre-diluting and heating like mentioned help the oil flow through the filters much better.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Diluting the WMO prior to pumping is always an excellent idea...if you cut your WMO with rug, all the better. I think if you do the filtering setup like JRed did previously, you won't need a 20 micron filter. You'll have to experiment with your own cocktails, but the sweet spot for my truck seems to be 80% WMO, 10% diesel and 10% rug. Oh, and I don't know how others here do it, but when I'm running a cocktail, both my tanks are full of it. I have no need or worry about shutting down or starting up on my cocktail.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok cool thanks for the input, what is rug?.....I think i will go centrifuge then. I will most likely have it all the backyard (in a shed/sheltered by balcony) or back olf the garage (prob not though way to much crap in there)....im liking the long tubes idea and extra pump, there centrifuge units look good but there pretty pricey, Jared do you happen to have a parts list for your centrifuge setup?

Do i have to worry about wmo corroding anything like wvo does?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh that makes sense...so does the rug help the mix because it ignites so fast?
Im still not clear on why wmo ignites, is it just that at the temp in the cylinders is higher than the wmos kindling temp?

Whats your setup like Jr. ?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The rug is good for at least 2 reasons.....first, it takes less rug than diesel to thin the WMO to an acceptable consistency; second, it has a way of forcing any kind of sediment to the bottom. What you've got to realize, is that a diesel engine is a CI, a compression ignition, engine. There are no sparkplugs, or anything else that ignites our fuel, other than the heat caused by compression of the cylinders. Glowplugs' only purpose is to superheated the cylinder when the engine is cold, to make it easier to start. Now, diesel fuel itself is oil based so it only makes sense to burn WMO. Igniting the WMO can be a little difficult in its collected state, mostly because of its consistency. We cut the WMO with things such as diesel and rug to give us the viscosity we need/want and the flammability. My setup is so Podunk, lol. Dagreenville and I share one, he started running WMO and got me using it and my truck hasn't ever run as good. We load a couple 55 gallon drums in the back of the truck, collect the oil, take it back to our site where we drop it off and let it settle. From the storage barrels, it gets pump into the mixing barrel we have that is up off the ground to enable water settling and cocktail mixing. It gets filtered as it gets pumped to the mixing barrel, gets mixed and allowed to settle then it gets filtered again, with a 2 micron filter or less, as it gets pumped into the truck.

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flareside you forgot it gets filtered into the mixing barrel at 30 micron then mixed and settles a lil more filtered from there usually 5 micron sometimes 2 micron into a clean barrel then sits there ready for use when ready to be used i filter it at 2 micron into the vehicle also i "ALWAYS" suck through the filters and "NEVER" push oil through them pushing oil through them mean your most likely using pressure to push contaminants into the clean oil! oh and i prolly have the most redneck backwoods setup yall have ever seen but it works andi also have my barrels sittin outside in the sun for heat hit helps setlling