ICP Sensor

RenoF250

Reaction score
My mileage has gotten pretty low and my power seems to vary each time I start the truck. Sometimes I will have good power and the overhead will say I am getting good mileage, other times it is slow and the overhead says mileage is no good. I was wondering that if ICP mods can increase power and improve mileage is it possible that if the ICP goes South it could reduce mileage and power? I am thinking that adding a resistor across the ICP lowers its' resistance and increases power so if there were a bad connection that increased resistance it could have the opposite affect. Opinions?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any way for you to borrow someones scanner and read the voltage and pressure output levels? That would help to tell you if in fact it was the ICP acting up.

Have you ever unplugged the ICP sensor and checked for corrosion or water or oil in the cup? All of those would be bad.

I've heard of guys replacing the CPS sensors BEFORE failure, and had their mileage increase also.

RenoF250

Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
any way for you to borrow someones scanner and read the voltage and pressure output levels? That would help to tell you if in fact it was the ICP acting up.

Have you ever unplugged the ICP sensor and checked for corrosion or water or oil in the cup? All of those would be bad.

I've heard of guys replacing the CPS sensors BEFORE failure, and had their mileage increase also.

I do not have easy access to a scanner so I do not know what it reads. Does the ICP provide feedback to control the pressure or does it just tell the PCM what the pressure is so it knows how to behave? I did check the connector again and it is clean so I do not think that is a problem.

I have heard the CPS thing also but I can not see why that would work, seems to me the CPS either incadtes cams position or it does not. I still am running on the factory CPS at 102k and I have a new one so it may be worth a shot to swap it out and see if it improves.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ICP is a feedback control circuit. It tells the IPR what duty cycle to run at.

The CPS tells where the camshaft is, but it may not be sensing the indicator ring at the leading edge of the tooth but deeper in, and this would retard timing.

RenoF250

Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
The ICP is a feedback control circuit. It tells the IPR what duty cycle to run at.

The CPS tells where the camshaft is, but it may not be sensing the indicator ring at the leading edge of the tooth but deeper in, and this would retard timing.

That makes sense, for some reason I thought it was timed off of a crank trigger. I have noticed it seems to have gotten quieter lately which could be due to retarded timing so I put in my standby CPS. It seems louder now to me but the wife does not think so. We will see if mileage improves.