I think I have problems with my IP, help please!

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I cannot get the engine of my E-350 to rev higher than 1000 RPM in neutral and even if I press the accelerator down to the floor the engine RPM do not go high. I thought it may be the lift pump but I have enough fuel pressure and I changed the fuel filter today. Any suggestions what else to check before removing the IP? Any other thing can go wrong apart from the IP in this case?:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might be a stuck valve in the pump. Remove the filter and fill it wil atf thru the outside ring of small holes. That way the filter actually does its job filter what gos thru it. Start it up and run till you hear the engine sound change. Shut it down and let it sit overnite. Start it next day and run the wheels off it to flush out the crap that might be causing these issues. I run a stanadyne dose of 4 oz in every fillup. Its what I believe gives me more for my money. Even a qt of atf in the fuel every month will clean out a dirty pump. ATF has plenty of detergents in it. Its nothing like motor oil where you have all the by products of combustion in the oil.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is something that happened suddenly.. first thing I would check is the throttle cable at the engine end.

There is a red plastic sleeve inside the housing at the IP end. This guide sleeve breaks and then "stacks" the broken pieces so the cable doesn't pull the lever that open the fuel feed at the IP. It "feels" like you have the foot feed all the way to the floor, but you won't make full RPM... just like what you are describing..

To check, set the brakes... make sure you are in neutral, open the hood, start the engine, reach in and by hand, move the fuel lever to speed up the engine. By hand, you should be able to go to full speed on the tach.. [helps if you have some one who can watch tach while you do this..

If it revs by hand above what you can do with the foot feed... it's likely not your IP.. you will need to replace the throttle cable.. about 15 min and about $25...

Just a suggestion.. for what it's worth..

Amend that time line.. just re-read the original post.. it's a van.. add another 45 minutes ... ;Really

Last edited:

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
OK, first I want to thank again those that wrote some suggestions to help me out. It was this afternoon that I found what was the problem and was able to fix it. For many days, every time I had a chance after work, I tried many different things with the hope I was not going to be forced to buy a new IP. There is an elbow with another little piece that goes to the top of the IP cover and the return line goes to it. After trying everything you guys recommended and a lot of other tests I looked at that piece and removed it, went to another old IP that I have in an spare engine and took that same part out, replaced it in my van IP, connected the rest of the stuff and went to start it. It was again my van! The engine roared hard again and all the problems disappeared. I went around the farm for a test and it was strong again. Thank you Father! Thanks to y'all for responding to my call.:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Burt. Thats called the injection pump return check valve. The fuel shut off solenoid in the top of the pump pushes on that to open it so the engine can start. When that little valve is closed the engine stops because it can't push fuel out of it.. So I'm told.. I think there is a little more to it but thats the idea. Its a very rudamentary style kill for these engines. I feel if we can make that valve a manual valve and have a standard tran truck we wont need any electrical to start an idi. Just a push start or a bump down a hill and we are running. A diesel like ours will run as long as we have fuel, engine oil and cooling happening.. Nothing can stop us.. Its the true apcolipse engine. Nothing can kill it...

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the original valve plugged? If you push a small pick/nail/screwdriver/etc. into the pump end of the fitting it should easily lift the ball off of its seat against the light spring. If it feels spongy or hard to move it is plugged. If you have an early pump the most likely culprit is the governor flex ring. The early pumps had a two piece governor cage held together by this flex ring. Over time it disintegrates into coffee ground looking debris. This would often migrate into the check valve and plug it. If this is the case I highly reccomend repairing or replacing the pump soon. If the governor flex ring is coming apart eventually the two metal pieces will be banging into one another and have the potential to cause major problems as the metal flakes and chips off.

It is possible it was just dirt or varnished fuel plugging your valve in which case I would change your filter and do the ATF trick to your pump. Just a heads up to perhaps save you bigger troubles down the road.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Was the original valve plugged? If you push a small pick/nail/screwdriver/etc. into the pump end of the fitting it should easily lift the ball off of its seat against the light spring. If it feels spongy or hard to move it is plugged. If you have an early pump the most likely culprit is the governor flex ring. The early pumps had a two piece governor cage held together by this flex ring. Over time it disintegrates into coffee ground looking debris. This would often migrate into the check valve and plug it. If this is the case I highly reccomend repairing or replacing the pump soon. If the governor flex ring is coming apart eventually the two metal pieces will be banging into one another and have the potential to cause major problems as the metal flakes and chips off.

It is possible it was just dirt or varnished fuel plugging your valve in which case I would change your filter and do the ATF trick to your pump. Just a heads up to perhaps save you bigger troubles down the road.

There was some debris at the bottom of that compartment and I sucked it all out, cleaned with Diesel Klean everything and filled again with Diesel Klean. Most probably it was plugged but now I don't know if it was that piece you say disintegrating or just dirt in the diesel, all I know is that my van is running strong again and I just came back from delivering a load from my farm to a place 2 hours away and it was roaring all the way and back, no smoke and plenty of power.

Thanks for your advice, I'll get another pump and have it ready just in case. Today I filled one tank with biodiesel from a friend's rig; that thing also cleans everything real good, after I run this tank I'll change the fuel filter.

Thanks again,

Burt. Ready for the government shutdown. If the government is shutdown that means they cannot spy on me?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.. They can't spy on you but I still would wear my tin foil hat... Why take any chances.... Maybe a wet towel under that too...:eek::rotflmao:angel:

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Nope.. They can't spy on you but I still would wear my tin foil hat... Why take any chances.... Maybe a wet towel under that too...:eek::rotflmao:angel:

Ha ha ha! You go ahead and wear your tin foil hat I just go tomorrow to town and buy myself few hundred bullets more, just in case... :rotflmao

Burt, still investing in precious metals: lead and brass. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online