I NEED MORE POWER!!!

TOTHEMAX!

Reaction score
ok im sure im beating a dead horse here but i need to find some more power im my buddies 93 7.3 IDI. we have turned up the IP and put bigger exhaust on it. we are working on modifying a air filter. he also does have the turbo on his and i had a few questions about it. how much boost does it normaly make. how much can it make safely? is there a boost valve we can put on to make it boost more? what other things can we do to make more power? he is the type of kid that would try anything. thanks guys

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if its a 93 7.3 with a turbo is it the one with the factory turbo? If so the first thing that needs to happen is he needs an upgraded downpipe. Ford flattened these on the ATS/Garret factory turbo systems. the bad news is that it will also require cutting or bending a bit of the firewall away to make the "real" downpipe clear. Safe boost? You can go as high as probably 12-13psi on a factory turbo engine with stock bolts and heads. ANy more than that and you need new gaskets and head studs. Hopefully he's already got a pyrometer and boost gauge. Beyond that you can try the basics...bigger exhaust, better air intake, water/**** injection. You can take it a long way. Another thing, you can buy a turbo cal. injection pump from Ken @DPS or from Hypermax. The thing is he needs to be reasonable in his power expectations. It isn't a PSD or a Cummins. You won't be making that kind of HP without modifying it to the point that it really isn't streetable, and even then its a tossup. My advice, make the turbo breathe well, give it as much fuel as you can handle adn keep the pre turbo EGTs under 1150 and live with what it is or tell him buy a Cummins or PSD if he wants the 400-500HP stuff

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
JD pretty much covered it. One thing he didn't mention is Propane injection. I have it on my 6.9 and it is good for about 40 additional horsepower when it is activated. It is not something that is on all the time, there is a switch on the throttle linkage that turns it on when the throttle is right at full throttle. You can buy a kit or home brew a system based on a design posted on Ziggster40's web site. I use the MH propane tank but many use a 20lb tank like you use for a barbeque.

Cool air in - big exhaust out is where you start after the pump is turned up.

Jim

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, don't forget the pyrometer when you are doing the modifications. If you get much over 1150-1200 you are knocking on the door of a major meltdown. I agree that Zigg's website is the best place for a homebrew propane system. He has a nice setup. I haven't done it, but if you're careful and a bit handy I think it will suit you quite well.
J.D.