I need an intervention!

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fella's, I am afraid my IDI addiction has reach a critical limit. This past year I have been picking up every IDI engine I stumble across and have bought 6 complete engines, all running with turbos. I bought one whole 1989 truck with a bad ZF5, put in one of the 4speeds I had and was driving it two days after, then I rebuilt the ZF for my 1975 w/7.3L Hypermax. Then three weeks ago was number 7 :eek:, posted on craigslist saying come get me, a complete 94 idiT. Simply replaced because they didn't know how to R&R (or diagnose) a lift pump!
A few days ago, a cherry 1990 F-350 CC 4x4 7.3na auto in need of a good home and a new drivetrain! It was mechanic's **** at first sight:love:, I'm not sure I can stop myself. :dunno I wasn't looking for a new project, the good Lord (wife, & friends) knows I have enough, yet this one found me. Is that a legit excuse or am I going off the deep end??cookoo

Here's the scoop:
The owner said it was the wife's truck (typical!) and it was tired after 267,800 miles!! It was cranked up and had SS headers on it. He removed the frt radiator support (btw NOT cracked!) and removed the motor/trans, then gave them to someone else. He was going to put a cummins in it:rolleyes:, didn't make time or have the appropriate place to tackle such a task, and after 1.5yrs of it setting, decided to part out the rest of the truck, so I decided to save yet another one from an abomination (fummins!?). Besides, the frt dana 60 is worth more than I paid for the entire truck!! That's a rationally thinking grown-ass man, right??:D It was repainted approx. 6yrs ago and still looks new. How could I say no to that beauty! This area doesn't have many (or any) good condition 4dr long bed trucks this age as most have been beat to death or rotted too far to be desirable (but are still to high priced). I finally got my hands on one in good condition for a decent (although not cheap) price!

The Plan:
I plan to get my chevy shop truck sold to make room for this one, so that means I have to finish the flat bed on it. Until that is sold, I need to source a few parts, such as an auto trans for the 90 CC, and frt seats. I could have this truck together and driving in two good weekends, however, I will drag it out and go through the 94 IDIT motor. I will add a cam from typ4, and Moose pump, with injectors. I will decide on the turbo system later, either have typ4 rebuild this one with a better comp wheel, or use my custom setup (if it is ready). I have a 1989 7.3 truck we are doing the R&D on. I have alway wanted one of these trucks as a DD and light duty towing, and road trips.

I will post some photos of the 90 truck when I pick it up this weekend. I am more excited than electrons in a microwave!! But seriously, thanks to all of you on this forum I can finally admit I have a problem and you maybe my support group. However, the only cure may be more IDI's!!LOL I would love to plan a Rally trip in the up coming years. If you have read this far through my babbling, thanks! But before anyone judges my affliction to much, keep in mind I have less money into all of these parts and 3 complete trucks than I would have to pay for a rusty used 1/2ton (average $3500). That insane isn't it!? :thumbsup: Have a great day everyone!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No hope for you... your in too deep to ever make it out alive... so death is the only cure for you...:eek::rotflmao;p Gees... How these rigs find you is amazing. Please continue saving these angles of the truck world.. they may be a little dirty at times but they give back so much unconditional love... Its there just for the asking too...:thumbsup::D

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1990 F-350 XLT Lariat

Got the truck back to the shop. The owners were sad to see it go, that's understandable. Been sitting next to their corral for the last year and a half so it needs a thorough cleaning. I didn't know the rear windows were manual, I assumed they were electric like the front. Let me know what ya think!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    975.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Almost looks like a Cali truck right there, HiHorse! Nice save! ;Sweet

As for your addiction, I'd be right there, as hooked as you, had I the time, money, storage and work space... not much to ask for at all! cookoo

At least I can live vicariously through true addicts like you. SO glad I found this forum!!!! :D

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost looks like a Cali truck right there, HiHorse! Nice save! ;Sweet

As for your addiction, I'd be right there, as hooked as you, had I the time, money, storage and work space... not much to ask for at all! cookoo

At least I can live vicariously through true addicts like you. SO glad I found this forum!!!! :D

Thanks, I don't like seeing good trucks parted out. Someone else got there first and got the frt seats and matching topper, I didn't want the topper though. I found out this was a Nebraska truck first and was always kept inside. There is a little rust starting in the box corner and where the west cost mirrors were added to the doors.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I've got that same problem, and I live in the city! Its not easy being an urban hillbilly. :)

I would have a hard time saying no to that too.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That's a clean looking crew cab, in my favorite color combination as well. You have a good thing going, as long as your misses is ok with it. Yes, I am jealous, the funds nor the place to support an addiction like yours exists for me at this point.:rolleyes:cookoo

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Addicted YES!!!! is it bad... NO!!!!! if you find a truck(s) that needs a home let me(us) know!!!! Im sure there are others besides my self that would be more than happy to adopted if you must adopted out ;Sweet:rotflmaoLOL:D:dunno:rotflmao for a minimum fee of course lol :rotflmao;SweetLOL:D:hail:hail:hail;Really

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intervention? You came to the wrong place....

I wouldn't call a Fummins an abomination though...

Don't take me too seriously, I'm not against it, just think it is overrated. I have put a 4bt/700R4 in a land crusier for a customer and am just finishing a 5.4L Triton swap in a '78 F-150 for another. I love BUILDING trucks, as it is my profession.

I am looking at this truck from a conservative budget approach, and really want to see what a cam, Moose Pump, and upgraded turbo along with other mods. No one is giving away a cummins, but I can pick up IDI's any given day for little to nothing and have accumulated a small inventory. I do my best to convince others that want a cummins in their project truck that they would be just as happy with an IDI. Truth is, very few are after big power numbers. The 86 F-250 6.9 w/ATS I have has impressed a few.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Don't take me too seriously, I'm not against it, just think it is overrated. I have put a 4bt/700R4 in a land crusier for a customer and am just finishing a 5.4L Triton swap in a '78 F-150 for another. I love BUILDING trucks, as it is my profession.

I am looking at this truck from a conservative budget approach, and really want to see what a cam, Moose Pump, and upgraded turbo along with other mods. No one is giving away a cummins, but I can pick up IDI's any given day for little to nothing and have accumulated a small inventory. I do my best to convince others that want a cummins in their project truck that they would be just as happy with an IDI. Truth is, very few are after big power numbers. The 86 F-250 6.9 w/ATS I have has impressed a few.

I think they're over-rated too, but I like to get where i'm going with a little peace of mind. I never had that with my IDI. The few times i towed fairly small loads I had to watch they pyro as much as the road, and you can forget about climbing hills at speed. With my 460 i was loaded down the 18k# and i could just drop the hammer and stay at the speed limit all the way up the hill. Cummins can do that too, with the A/C on. No IDIs i've been around could...

Now, I really liked my IDI, but i think it was more of a short range work truck, not a highway towing truck...

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, it certainly depends on which cummins engine you are talking about. My 24 valve is impressive with the few upgrades I have done, but I have yet to be impressed with any stock 12 valve engines. We all have different experiences with our trucks and engines, good and bad.

But the real benefit to the cummins is definately the amount of aftermarket support. The mechanical ones did not get left behind and forgotten about when the electronic ones came out, but that is what happened with the IDI's when the Power Stroke was introduced. It has also been noted the IDI was always held back since Ford did not want the IH engine to out sell its own powerhouse 460. Now, I don't want to debate which is better or why, or the politics involved. I believe if it works for you and gets the job done thats great. Just think, if Ford had signed the contract with Cummins........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online