i know i'm a doofus.... BUT

WhiteMystery93

Coal Factory
Reaction score
alright the information i'm getting from you guys is fabulous, thank you very much. maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way? i am not familiar with the TTB or really 4wd front ends either way with regards to identifying what particular axle? the vin's correct and it's got a clean carfax but what would give it away to have a TTB under there? i'll be happy to post up some pics tomorrow at some point.... i could easily be misinterpreting what i see under there.... i am only saying it is a TTB because my buddy claims it's a 'twin i-beam' front end. if it was a pain in the ass to downgrade from the D60 to a TTB i highly doubt the previous owner went through all that, ya know?

and it definitely does not have coils, just leafs and shocks. the mechanic at my job has a 94 IDI-T F-Super Duty DRW 2wd and he's got coils but then again that's a different truck..

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the truck was in a crash. Could it really be a F250 and someone put F350 front fenders on it w/o swapping the badges?

To me this makes more sense than someone swapping a front end. Another possibility is that it was a 2wd truck that somebody made into a 4x4 and they used the TTB front end cause they had it.

WhiteMystery93

Coal Factory
Reaction score
I wonder if the truck was in a crash. Could it really be a F250 and someone put F350 front fenders on it w/o swapping the badges?

To me this makes more sense than someone swapping a front end. Another possibility is that it was a 2wd truck that somebody made into a 4x4 and they used the TTB front end cause they had it.

i dunno, it appears un-tampered with, all the numbers add up, it's titled as an f350, the VIN is to an f350, it's all matching paint with 4x4 on the bed and everything appears original, just converted from auto to manual (i imagine the guy i got it from bought it dirt cheap with a blown e40d and swapped in the zf5 to sell it, because the driveshaft has chalk markings on it from a few months before i bought it and the instrument cluster still has the PRNDL in the middle lol) it's just got beat ass suspension. i'll get some pictures up soon. pretty sure my f350 didn't magically change from an f250 to an f350 but HEY i could be crazy cookoo

BudLight

Reaction score
Dana 60 (kingpin front)
You must be registered for see images attach

Dana50/44 (ball joint front)

Just a couple oogle pics for your reference.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the ball joints? I did some on a Cummins powered Dodge. The wheels had a lot of negative camber. That truck is a solid axle but a TTB axle would look like sagging springs. If the ball joints on your truck are original then you are overdue for them to be replaced.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my truck poser shot...has a SOLID axle D 60

Again

This is a lifted TTB leaf spring setup..notice the reverse arch springs...

A lifted version of TTB leaf sprung

And a requisite shot of the coil sprung TTB..notice how much longer the coil arms are than the the leaf arms...

Hope this helps clear up some of whats what....

Just a tid bit of CRITICAL info here!

And lastly a very clear picture of a solid axle 60

Hope this helps you determine what model you have...be it solid...or (chicken wing as I call it) TTB

Once you are set on which you have we can start working a solution to your issue.....but pics of yours would be very helpful too

JM2CW

Al

WhiteMystery93

Coal Factory
Reaction score
alright thank you very much it is infact a TTB, and i took alot of truck ***** earlier on my cell phone that i will upload later this evening so you can see what my problems are.... you'll see exactly what's wrong with it at the first glance, lol :rotflmao

thanks again you guys are so helpful!

WhiteMystery93

Coal Factory
Reaction score
went full retard and my phone fell out of my pocket on the trackhoe earlier while walking(traveling) and is completely destroyed so i don't think i'll be posting pictures this evening -cuss . at any rate how do i determine what leaf springs and shocks i should get if they're not the usual outfit on one of these bad boys?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry bout phone...can u pull out memory card n use it?

It's hard to suggest anything without fully understanding what's going on. Got a digital camera?

Pics are worth a 1000 words and that's alot around here.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a lift last summer on mine. Got the lift, shocks, etc from rough country. Much better ride than stock. Lifted 4.5" (sagged springs) on the front and about 3" on the back. My son, myself, and the wife did it leisurely in the driveway in 3 days (including pivot bushings). www.roughcountry.com.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Providing the pivot bushings are good the cheapest route to go is stock f250 springs. Also plan on replacing the front upper shackle bushing while it is apart. Another thing is either paying out the ass for an alignment shop to fiddle with caster camber bushings or spend 60 bucks and do it yourself. With new springs a 0 degree bushing from napa usually works good. Do NOT put f350 springs in it with a ttb.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Did a lift last summer on mine. Got the lift, shocks, etc from rough country. Much better ride than stock. Lifted 4.5" (sagged springs) on the front and about 3" on the back. My son, myself, and the wife did it leisurely in the driveway in 3 days (including pivot bushings). www.roughcountry.com.

How's the ride quality? Better or worse than with stock suspension? This was the route I was debating, since I've completely rebuilt my D50 (ball joints, ujoints, tie rods, etc...)

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's the ride quality? Better or worse than with stock suspension? This was the route I was debating, since I've completely rebuilt my D50 (ball joints, ujoints, tie rods, etc...)

Not a caddie, but better than stock. Thinking about removing 1 spring from the pack to smooth it out more and lower the front a little. It is to level (almost looks nose high at some angles. Also, The bolts for the brace between the longer drop brackets came with lower quality bolts. Switched to grade 8 and no problems.

WhiteMystery93: Double check your drop brackets for the ttb pivots. The main reason I went with the 4" lift was the bracket for the passenger side had come loose (broke 1 bolt, elongated the holes on 2 others, only 4 total)(the 4" lift came with brackets, 2.5" lift didn't [wife is only 5'4" so the 4" is max for us LOL]). When the steering was moved while not moving the right suspension would move about 1" :eek: . Much longer and the passenger front would have fell off. I had been wearing the tires quickly, too!!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
No, no, the true doofuses are 2WD guys like me... plz pardon the hijack, but would someone explain the term TTB? I do get the basics otherwise. LOVE the TTB look, as shown here. ;Sweet

Yeah, my experience level is stuck at: "Oooo, old Ford.... COOL! 4WD!!" LOLLOLLOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online