I just got a nice t444e. It is in a Fed-EX truck. Can I use it?

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I am really, really, really excited! The truck has 127,000. The price? 500 bucks. :love:

It is in a running/driving fed-ex truck that was rolled. I can take everything I want to help with the swap, including the charge air cooler and radiator.

It has the IH gauge cluster, an intercooler, a universal fit gas pedal and some kind of stick shift trans.

I have not figured out the year yet.

It seems less cluttered than a PSD in a Ford. The wiring and electronics seem simpler and more compact.

The turbo is pretty big.

It runs awesome. -Drool

I want to put it in my 1986 CCSB 4x4 zf5 F350.

Can I just graft the IH gauge cluster into my dash?

Will the oil cooler and filter work in my F350?

Will the oil pan work in my F350?

Will the flywheel and clutch work with my ZF?

If I take everything attached to the engine, will it work?

What am I forgetting?

And yes, I was going to put a 7.8TD, then I said I was putting a 7.3 IDI in it. Now I am saying I am going with the T444E. Is this my final answer? I sure hope so, the truck has cobwebs where the engine should be.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really, really, really excited! The truck has 127,000. The price? 500 bucks. :love:

It is in a running/driving fed-ex truck that was rolled. I can take everything I want to help with the swap, including the charge air cooler and radiator.

It has the IH gauge cluster, an intercooler, a universal fit gas pedal and some kind of stick shift trans.

I have not figured out the year yet.

It seems less cluttered than a PSD in a Ford. The wiring and electronics seem simpler and more compact.

The turbo is pretty big.

It runs awesome. -Drool

I want to put it in my 1986 CCSB 4x4 zf5 F350.

Can I just graft the IH gauge cluster into my dash?

Will the oil cooler and filter work in my F350?

Will the oil pan work in my F350?

Will the flywheel and clutch work with my ZF?

If I take everything attached to the engine, will it work?

What am I forgetting?

And yes, I was going to put a 7.8TD, then I said I was putting a 7.3 IDI in it. Now I am saying I am going with the T444E. Is this my final answer? I sure hope so, the truck has cobwebs where the engine should be.
1)you need a seized PSD pu for a enternal donor.
2)check location of the starter. chances are it's on the driver's side.
3)oil pan, oil pump and pickup are different.
4)water pump is different.
5)accy brackets and items are different.
6)stand alone wiring and computer is good but not for hop-up tunes or chips. you will have to stick with IH only.
7)oil cooler and exh manifolds quite possibly be different.
8)you are going to have your work cut out for you.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
1)you need a seized PSD pu for a enternal donor. I have access to a PSD 96' F350 chassis dually but it is missing the turbo, idm, ecm, but has the accessories and oil pickup, pan. Motor is still in the truck so I will have to yank it too.
2)check location of the starter. chances are it's on the driver's side. Will it work anyway if I bolt my 6.9 adapter and starter and use the ZF?
3)oil pan, oil pump and pickup are different. Can I swap the Ford truck stuff?
4)water pump is different. ok
5)accy brackets and items are different. ok
6)stand alone wiring and computer is good but not for hop-up tunes or chips. you will have to stick with IH only. Im cool with it, this thing runs good.
7)oil cooler and exh manifolds quite possibly be different. I hope the pickup oilcooler clears the IH manifolds because I like them and the up pipes.
8)you are going to have your work cut out for you.
:dunno:D
9) Thanks.

What year would have the bigger turbo and intercooler?

What sort of power and torque do they churn out?

Will this pull a 15,000lb trailer good with a ZF5, 3.55 gear, 33" tires?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to find out what year it is.not really important but will help with a few things.you will need all the ford wiring,pcm,idm,dash and gas pedal to do it correctly.also gonna need the ford bellhousing,flywheel,starter and accessories and brackets

it can be done with the IH wiring.IIRC the t444e has the computer and idm on the passengers side valve cover.now you can use all the ih stuff.but you will need to find where all the power,grounds and throttle pedal wires are.forget the factory gauges,use aftermarket mechanical oil,temp and volt gauges.could get the fords dash to work if you can find wich wires go to what.

as for the turbo and exhaust.the IH manifolds,uppipes and turbo will fit just fine.oil cooler is the same.water pump is the same.

you will need the ford oil pan.heres where it gets a little tricky.there were 3 different oil pan/pickups used.what ever the year the engine is is the year you need the oil pan and pickup for.use a different year parts and you will need the timing cover that goes to those parts.try to stay away from the 94.5-95 timing cover,pan and pickup.the oil pump is the same no matter what the motor comes from or what year it is.the oil pump is bolted to the timing cover and is run off the harmonic balancer.

the intercooler will work if it will fit behind the grill.will have to do some fab work for the tubes.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What year would have the bigger turbo and intercooler?

What sort of power and torque do they churn out?

Will this pull a 15,000lb trailer good with a ZF5, 3.55 gear, 33" tires?

there was 2 turbos used on the psd in the fords and IHs.not sure about the change over on the IH but 94.5-97 99-03 is the change over years for the fords.both turbos are fine.the 99-up can handle a little more PSI but also has a surge issue.the fix for that is to run the 94.5-97 compressor wheel.

stock they push 210-215HP.forget the torque rating though.turn it up and you can 1,000+hp and still streetable with the flip of a switch.a lightly tuned PSD will out pull and out run an idi anyday.and i gaurantee mine will blow the doors off an idi with ease

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Thank You fellas for the replies and knowledge.

So I do not need to have the IH cluster hooked up to run properly? That is good to know. I think I will just try to fillet the tach out of there then? I like the custom aluminum dash with aftermarket mechanical gauges that some members have done. I would love to have that setup.

I think I will attempt to use all the accessories that are on the engine now along with the hydroboost off the fed-ex truck.

I believe my engine is going to be 99-03, the turbo is bigger than a 97'.

If I read this right, I need to buy a pickup and oil pan for a 99'.

Plus I have in my parts pile: 6.9 IDI bellhousing adapter plate, starter, motor mounts w/ frame pads, 7.3idi ZF trans, 6.9 pressure plate and friction disc.

I may need a PSD stick shift flywheel if the stick shift flywheel in the fed-ex truck is different.

I can definitely be happy with the IH electronics for now if they will work. I understand that the IH trucks have more torque than the Ford stock, but are limited to 2600rpm. I am cool with that. A bunch of low RPM torque is what I want. I am not trying to put down a big "number" or do 4000rpm smoky burnouts. I just want to hear that hairdryer spool up and go up those hills without downshifting.

Any corrections or comments?

Feel to straighten me out if I am wrong about anything, I am here to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online