I FIX ONE THING, ANOTHER BREAKS... HELP

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a better diagram of the top of the engine. I think the problem is going to be here somewhere. You can see in this diagram, the fuel heater is not even connected to maxi fuse K. But you can see everything else that is connected to K. Since you have power on K, it's going to be downstream from K. You are correct, you will probably have to inspect the harness very carefully, and look for S111 which is a splice.

Attachments

• WD_Ford_179163.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 7

92 dizzel

Reaction score
So check this out....

I got frustrated and tracked the red and green wire all the way to the fuse box. No issues. I pulled the fuse box apart and saw that there are more than one fuses tied in to red and green wires. I checked the most unlikely one, which is in the number 11 spot, turns out the fuse was fried sometime in the process of doing everything else. Changed the fuse, got power to the glow plug relay.

Here's where it gets interesting. This is a 1992 truck, and everything I see online shows that I have a 1994 fuse box. Not only that, but the number 11 fuse location shows as "not used" in all the diagrams. What the hell? It looks like everything was done at the factory and goes where it should.

Anyone experience that?

Now that we have power to the glow plug relay, it's not working correctly. Just clicks. F'ing wiring demons!!!! Oh well, at least there is power to it. We still haven't fired it up to see if the original issue has been resolved.

92 dizzel

Reaction score
So just to recap on everything so far...

The truck would barely start and then blow #17 fuse. No power to GPR/FSS or fuel heater. No other fuses blown. Checked twice.

Played around with wires in front that we messed with while advancing timing. Re-did a few that looked bad.

Truck then had power to fuel heater, but still not GPR

Tried new GPR. No change. Put old one back in (this comes up again later).

Took apart the steering column, discovered the wire that slides into the key tumbler was broke. Replaced with one from parts truck. No change. Also replaced the wiring harness slide under column. Not sure what the little sensor wire is for on the tumbler....

Discovered that the purple wire on GPR was not reconnected when changed out (my kids did it).

Took apart fuse box and discovered red and green wire running to #11 fuse, fuse was blown, replaced fuse.

Somewhere in all of that mess we now have power back to everything, not sure exactly what caused the original issue.

Stay tuned for a test fire... we could be right back where we started

92 dizzel

Reaction score
Ok it fired up and runs!

Not sure which repair we did fixed it, but it works.

True to form, now we have other issues... ABS light is on and the turn signals don't work.

Anyone want to buy a Ford? 4 years chasing one issue after another. It never ends. By the time I get done replacing every part on this Ford (I've replaced countless and spent thousands) I'll have to start over and do it all again.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ABS was screwed up. Made for dangerous stopping.

Light was always on.

I got rid of the problem and the light both, by simply removing the abs module that is located behind the glove box.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Glad it worked out, guessing that loose glow plug wire may have been shorting out.

If it happens again -

Make sure fuses U (Fuel heater) and K (FSS, Glow Plug Controller, cold idle advance, IP advance.) in the engine compartment and #17 (Glow plug controller.) in the interior fuse panel all work. I would pull them, look at them, test for continuity, and plug back in or replace if bad.

Something to also look at is your FSS shares power with the idle advance and IP advance when your engine is below 112 degrees. Your FSS also shares power with one of the terminals on the glow plug controller. Perhaps when you did your timing you bumped one of those cold advance solenoids and it broke, shorted out, or the wiring harness gave out. Thus when the engine is cold you have no power to the FSS (Shorting out of grounding out.) but when hot (Over 112 degrees) the switch breaks the circuit to the advance items and the FSS no longer shorts out.

Now the wild card, how is your breaker hooked up? That is a custom fix, so help us understand where and what the breaker is hooked to. It could be this change to your wiring could be related to your issues.

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
In regards to your turn signals not working -

1) Check the fuse.
2) Could be related with your work on the steering column. So inspect, see if something broke or came loose.
3) You said something that was not clear to me, like you replaced the wiring harness in the steering column. Maybe that caused the turn signal issue.

On your ABS issue no expert but it looks like you can do a test of the ABS controller. Some links to look at.