I couldn't do it....I'm staying with the IDIs

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After numerous people offering various cash amounts, and never following through, and dropping my asking price to $3k on craigslist, and $4k on ebay, I began to rethink everything. I had a bank approve me for a newer truck, was going down to sign the paperwork and thought "lets just give it another day to think on it." Went home and hopped on craigslist for the hell of it.

Found a 86 f-250 ext cab dually 4x4 auto with power windows, and with a bunch of new stuff done to it recently. Drove the three hours to look at it, ended up driving it around for probably an hour and left with the title.

ext is in excellent shape, it has a flat bed which i'm not TOO excited about, but we'll see if i adjust. Interior could use some fixing up, it's brown inside, and worn, and has a flacid steering wheel :( It handles great, 100x better than my crew cab, rides like a car, and all in all runs great. Once I get it home, i'm going to peak around and see what I can swap over from my crew cab to this one. I'm hoping I can direct swap my wheels and tires over but i'm not sure on that front axle lug pattern. Thoughts?

Oh, it has a pto transmission....I imagine this could open up a few possibilities, but what kind of possibilities??

I'll get pictures up when I get it hoe on saturday. I also found an axle for my crew cab which should be going in either friday or saturday too. I'm on the edge of selling the crew cab or storing it. I figure I won't have to be too nervous about the extended cab giving me problems that are sight unseen so far if I happen to have a full spare truck around. but we'll see.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
sweet!!! im glad you stayed.. i was looking at a mint 2000 7.3L auto 4wd ext cab long bed. 180k 7800 bucks.. went to sign the papers with 3k down and a trade in... couldnt do it!

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Same here. For me it was fate, I went to look at one on a dealers lot. 2000 4x4 F350, ext cab 4x4, 7.3 Power Stroker. Dark green with a camper shell, exactly what I had in mind years ago when I started wanting a super-duty something fierce.

Looked under the hood, all seemed good. Got the keys and went to start it...

Crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank... I cranked on it for about 30 seconds. Stopped and let the starter cool. Cranked another 30 seconds. Nothing. No smoke, no fire, nothing... Half wit sales man says "hold on, probably needs a jump start as it's been sitting a while"
Nope, it cranks nice and fast but no-go. He left and came back with one of those dinky battery pack jumpstarters and I said "Thanks, but no thanks" and walked away... :rolleyes:

My truck as beat the royal hell out of me, but I think we are in it for the long haul.
I think you made the right decision. Hope the new rig works out for you ! ;Sweet

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I hope you are bringing that dually up here, maybe I can talk you out of it. What time frame are you moving?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warhog did you have your truck on the Nashville craigslist? I saw one just like yours on there....nice truck and glad you stayed with the idi....

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to hear! I was thinkign of a newer truck as well, but theyre just so much damn money, im not crazy about the body style and maintance costs adn higher insurance. I still need to convert my truck over to 4x4 and put a posi rear end in. Ive been looking around for perhaps just buying a 4x4 crew cab, but theyre sparse and when I do see one, theyre way too much money, and who knows what kind of problems that one will have. (liek when the oil control ring on my oil cooler blew...same thing might happen to anotehr truck i buy! Oh and when i do find a crew cab 4x4 IDI...its usually auto-and i dont like that. I mean autos are suoper nice to drive especially in a big truck, but unless its super low miles, the e4od will go out in short order. They definitly need extra cooling help, but no one ever puts a cooler on.

I figured the frame is in great shape, and these trucks are lego, can swap a cab over in a days work. Axles and turbos can be resold for pretty much no loss.
Im in it for the long haul with my big guy!

example: only 4x4 crew cabi found at the moment. But its gas. Looks clean though.
Otehr side of the world pretty much.
http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto/4060331111.html

Last edited:

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hydraulic dump bed, hydraulic winch. Pretty much anything that runs off hydraulics can be run from a PTO driven pump.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still sad that I had to sell my truck :( I loved it even though the 13 mpg killed me. But it was that 13 mpg that caused me to have to sell it...I couldn't drive it to work! Now diesel is so damn expensive I'm not sure if I want to own another one. Sigh...

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warhog did you have your truck on the Nashville craigslist? I saw one just like yours on there....nice truck and glad you stayed with the idi....

Yup. Had it on there a few times and on ebay. Had a bunch of offers around $4k the last go round...but still not sure if i'm going to sell it off or not. Thanks, and i'm glad too (for now! lol)

I'm going to have to look into the options for the PTO, sounds exciting.

I hate the gas mileage too, but my police interceptor doesn't do much better with two bad o2 sensors lol. I actually had a bank qualify me for a loan on an 08 ext cab f350 sd. it was a beautiful truck. I might have loved it, i might have hated it, either way i'll be happy without a payment just yet, and being able to throw money aside for a rainy day. Fuel gauge and tank switcher works, power windows, i'm excited lol. One thing i'm wondering about is the lug pattern on the front axle (i don't know if its factory or conversion 4x4), i was hoping to toss my alcoas onto it from my crew cab. Brand new tires and all, it would be a nice swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online