I could just call towcat......

dave85

Reaction score
but haven't posted here in a while.

My 87 is not the truck my 85 is. But I love it anyhow.

3:55's with c-6. Now, I,ve got a ladder rack and ladders on top and running 75-85 to the desert to work.
Only getting 13 mph. This truck blows smoke under less throttle and clatters more on cold crank up than the 85.

I know I'm loaded "un-aerodymacally" and just should be satisfied at that speed with that mileage but is there a timing issue? Air filter is new.

Have a lot of road time coming up, need to squeeze what I can.
Thanks,
dave

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Dave, I am no expert but it sure sounds like your timing is a bit advanced. loosen the three nuts on your injection pump and turn the pump to the right towards the driverside fender about a nickels width. tighten it up and go for a spin. you should see less smoke and less rattle with improved mileage. :thumbsup:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dave-
I'm still here :D Probably won't be going overseas until mid-January. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to make the trip until later, but my daughter has managed to bring her mother down to her level of thinking and is winning the fights. As a result, the phone bills have went through the roof from mediating them and I don't get much sleep either.
Bringing it back on track...I presume you are talking 13MPG not mph. If you are, I got the same with my '86 F250 4X4 when I made the trip out to Texas last november. It too is a 3.55 truck. I got a ladder rack and it had ladders on the top along with a very unareodynamic 33x12.5x16.5 spare straped to the overhead section of the rack. There's something about ladder racks that really kills off your mileage. By your confirmation, I feel a little better of my f250 now. Oh yea, outside of CA, my mpg went up to 14 and the power went up a little too(seat of the pants dyno). As you know the non-CA diesel sure makes a difference! -cuss :mad: -cuss :mad:

dave85

Reaction score
I remember that and wasn't too...........

concerned, but a couple of AM's in the desert, it was cold. Started right up, but I know it is clattering more than my 85 on strartup.
And I've never been a really "Blow Black smoke" guy, but seems like I'm doing more with this truck.
I just hate to start sawz-alling and duct taping this truck, but may have to add my infamous "dual' ram air LOL.
Dave

idi- I think you are right. Will try that tonight, maybe.
Dave

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a timing issue. Two possibilities. One is, the cold timing advance solenoid could be stuck. The other may be that your pump is out of time. In either case, getting hooked up to a dynamic timing meter is your best bet. Pull one of your glow plugs and make sure your not so far advanced that it is starting to eat away at them.

dave85

Reaction score
Cold timing solenoid reduces.......

the RPM's as it should after warm up. So I'm assuming it works. I think it is timing, but also, my temp gauge (OEM) doesn't move much till I'm on a long hard pull.
So, I need to add mechanical gauge also as I understand I need to be running around 200.

Anyway, it's better than a 460.

Thanks,
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online