I-beam problems.

TRex650

Reaction score
Just found out today that the bracket that holds my drivers side I-beam has multiple cracks and I need to replace the eye bushings on both. I should have no trouble welding or replacing the bracket, but I was wondering if this is a problem I need to watch out for on these trucks? This is the first I have heard of one failing. Also how big of a pain is it to change the eye bushings on the beams? Thanks.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of guys have the same problem. You can weld it up, but I bet you could get one for free (or dang near) at a boneyard. As far changing the bushings.............You can make a puller/pusher from a long bolt, washers and on old socket. Otherwise you'll have drive the old out and the new in and that can be a *****. Be sure to freeze the new bushings in the freeze and lube 'em up prior to stuffing them in.

Heath

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been spoiled on shop air for years(180psi 120gal tank). Jobs like yours are real easy on shop air :D I have driven out the bushings via air hammer with a chisel attachment. Gets the job done quickly. the bracket for the driver's side I-beam should be an unbolt from the crossmember iirc.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
does it look anything like this?
another view

that was my pax side mount. replaced a year or 2 ago... the stealership had the part available in 2 days, for less than $40 if i remember correctly. for that cheap, i'd go new.
and under no circumstances would i attempt to weld it.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
howd you guys find the cracks?
just rolling around on a creeper looking or did you have a clunk or strange noises?
i have a clunk that i cannot seem to locate,its not the calipers or bushings :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online