Hypermax IDI pistons

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Anyone here running the Hypermax IDI pistons, pins, and rings? I don't remember seeing them on the website before, perhaps this is newer stuff? They claim the wrist pins are supposed to be pretty stout.

I live about 30 minutes away from their shop, I am half tempted to go investigate the products and see if they in fact beefier than the OEM stuff.

The pistons also look to be of lower compression.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the first I've heard of them....if you have the time and inclination, I would vote for you going over there and taking a look ;Sweet if they'll let you, take pictures so we can all get an idea...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the Warden, go have look. If I was in Chicago or Milwaukee for any reason I would have to visit.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id go over anyway with a camera and tell them youre on obs explain what it is and would like to get a better idea of their products for the site
im sure youll have a full tour and tons of free stuff

but at one time they made almost anything for these motor and apperently still will if you got the buck

they had a low cr piston with the piston moved down on the rod

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looks like a non turbo piston. Appearance is nice but will it benefit us any....:dunno About a low compression piston... Mahle has been making them for a long time. What they do is machine the pin 10 thousands higher in the piston. That drops the piston that much in the cylinder. I'm running the low comp turbo piston from them and milled 14 thousands off the tops.. then ceramic coated them with CBX from Tech Line in Murriata Ca.... Works for me so far....

Last edited:

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
When are bad weather passes over in the next 2 days, I am going to take a trip up there and see if I can get any other details, or at least overall measurements compared to the OEM counterparts.

My friend runs almost all of their stuff on his powerstroke and he knows them rather well, he said he'd ride with me so hopefully with him there, they will talk a little bit more.

I will def. keep you guys posted on this, I am really curious about the wrist pins and rings more than anything.

I also want to see whats going on with the head gaskets they sell or if they have anything else laying around in the "back 40" that may benefit any members here.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When are bad weather passes over in the next 2 days, I am going to take a trip up there and see if I can get any other details, or at least overall measurements compared to the OEM counterparts.

My friend runs almost all of their stuff on his powerstroke and he knows them rather well, he said he'd ride with me so hopefully with him there, they will talk a little bit more.

I will def. keep you guys posted on this, I am really curious about the wrist pins and rings more than anything.

I also want to see whats going on with the head gaskets they sell or if they have anything else laying around in the "back 40" that may benefit any members here.
You will find them to be very helpful. I've had them on the phone for a few things and they are really great. When I called to find out about the smoke puff limiter, I got to talk with the guy who designed teh thing and I was on the phone with him for a LONG time and he made sure to answer a VERY long list of questions I had on the thing and then some. I had teh same treatment when I called about their Cowl induction. Just wonderful folks . Makes me wish I had more money laying around that I could spend with them ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A non turbo piston pin size is 28mm and a turbo piston pin size is 33 mm. Hope this helps... The non turbo pistons will handle 10 lbs of boost without any issues. Add a little more and you will find small stress cracks in the top of the pistons... All pistons have the same dome thickness. Even the non turbo piston domes are the same at around 560 thousands in the thinnest part.. The very center of the dome...

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the picture the dish in the top of the picture looks different than a stock piston. I am curious about the advantages of it.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
I have an odd feeling the pistons are in fact a Mahle piece, it's hard to say. If they in fact have a larger than the OEM turbo wrist pin that requires the rod to be bored, bushed, and honed, this could open up new worlds.

Sadly, we got a nasty amount of snow that mixed with rain lastnight and everything is a sheet of ice. If the roads clear up in the next day or two, I will let you all know what I find.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
I have an odd feeling the pistons are in fact a Mahle piece, it's hard to say. If they in fact have a larger than the OEM turbo wrist pin that requires the rod to be bored, bushed, and honed, this could open up new worlds.

Sadly, we got a nasty amount of snow that mixed with rain lastnight and everything is a sheet of ice. If the roads clear up in the next day or two, I will let you all know what I find.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online