HYDROBOOSTER CHANGED?

SNOWCONCEPTS

Reaction score
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO CHANGE THE HYDROBOOST ON A 97 F450 MINE IS LEAKING BETWEEN THE POWER STEERING AND THE BRAKE BOOSTER THE TRUCK SHOP TOLD ME THEY ARE COMMON TO LEAK AND THAT THE SEALS ARE BAD AND THE HYDROBOOSTER NEEDS REPLACED IM TIRED OF ADDING POWER STEERING FLUID EVERY WEEK. ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED.

abbamover

Reaction score
Not hard to change, just time consuming and expensive !!
Go with a new boost/master cyl unit, not rebuilt, you will have less problems and it will last a lot longer.
Just make sure that the unit you are replacing it with is identical in specs.

I hope you have the fiberglass tilt front end, otherwise it's a bit backbreaking and space limiting with the steel hood.
If you have the steel hood it might be easier and less cursing to remove the hood while you are doing the repair. Get someone to help you get it off and use lots of rags around the base at the windshied to keep from chipping the paint.
If you do remove the hood scribe around the hinge mounts so you can get it back in the exact spot without fiddling to realign it.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SNOWCONCEPTS said:
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO CHANGE THE HYDROBOOST ON A 97 F450 MINE IS LEAKING BETWEEN THE POWER STEERING AND THE BRAKE BOOSTER THE TRUCK SHOP TOLD ME THEY ARE COMMON TO LEAK AND THAT THE SEALS ARE BAD AND THE HYDROBOOSTER NEEDS REPLACED IM TIRED OF ADDING POWER STEERING FLUID EVERY WEEK. ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED.
dude-
take a chill pill and turn off the "all caps" :eek:
seriously tho... a hydro is no harder to change out than a vac booster. the procedure is just the same except you will need an additional line wrench for taking off the pressure hose fittings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online