Hydroboost noise

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the flood of recent threads by me. Getting my 86 back in service after 2 years of distractions.

Right before the truck sat, I installed a hydroboost from an 02 F250, including the pump. Works great, however when turning to lock or turning with hard brakes I get a squealing noise and the hose running from the aftermarket cooler flops around. It isn't a slipping belt, am I collapsing the return hose and causing that noise? Is there a stiffer hose I can use? I think I used fuel hose when I installed it, it's what I had lying around.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the presures in a hydroboost system are higher than a conventional system, I don't think the return line is adaquate. Get the return line for a hydrboost system. The squeall is from the hose collapsing and starving the pump of oil.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this line sold by the foot or something? Cant be a specific hose, the connections on this particular line are all flared for soft hose and clamps.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which line are you referring too? The return one from booster to pump, or the one from steering box to pump? The booster to pump may be able to be purchased at a stealership as it's a formed hose, similar to Rad hose

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering box to pump, sorry. In my case it is actually steering box to cooler to pump. The line suspected to be at fault is after the cooler.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Silly question but since the return lines from both the hydroboost and gear box just dump into the reservoir, is the vent on the cap plugged?

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a silly question at all, but the answer is no - I ran without a cap when trying to diagnose.

Now that the truck is running, I noticed it is only during hard motions like mashing the pedal. If I hold the pedal it clears quickly, so it makes sense in my tiny brain that it is indeed a collapsing return line because there is no loss in performance. I'll have to see what Fleet Farm has in stock tomorrow.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a hydraulic shop will have a hose capable of working as a return hose, stiffer than fuel line, and sold by the foot. just tell them what you are doing and they will get you the correct hose, and be sure to tell them it's held on by hose clamps so they get you the correct stuff.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, where in WI are you? I'm from Door Co with a tendency to gravitate to the Wausau area most of the time.