Hydroboost mod.....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding a deal! ;Sweet Just pay close attention to the pressure fitting coming off the pump to the hydro. Monte ran into trouble there.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
be carefull when making "panic"stops.for some reason my 450s brake pedal will go right to the floor.right as the pedal hits the floor it starts to slow down and the pedal comes back up.i dont know what its problem is.been doing this since i changed a caliper 3 years ago.i have another complete hydro setup but im too lazy to swap it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
be carefull when making "panic"stops.for some reason my 450s brake pedal will go right to the floor.right as the pedal hits the floor it starts to slow down and the pedal comes back up.i dont know what its problem is.been doing this since i changed a caliper 3 years ago.i have another complete hydro setup but im too lazy to swap it.
That's a characteristic of a older hydro. The system will bypass for a moment and then will catch up.....that's when everything else that isn't tied down keeps moving to the front of the truck :eek:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
towcat said:
That's a characteristic of a older hydro. The system will bypass for a moment and then will catch up.....that's when everything else that isn't tied down keeps moving to the front of the truck :eek:
What years would you be considering "older Hydro"? If I change mine out thats all I need next is to get famous round here for going lickty-split thru all the red lites in town!!! Boys in blue keep their eye on me now.... :angel:

I didn't get to town today by their 1PM closing time to pick up my new-used hydro booster & pump....called 'em and will get it Monday. Too many irons in fires & honey-do's round here today.....was a beautiful, clear day, so I welded all day mostly!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A hydro that has a couple hundred thou miles on it will have internal leakage issues. That is, if it hasn't already started leaking externally already. Its a different experience stopping with a hydro, but you'll get used to it. If I am to characterize it, its almost like the direct opposite of driving with ABS. Most people don't know that when you are driving agressively, standing on the pedal with a ABS car will get better results that the old meathod of feather and stab. Hydros especially older ones, will boost with no problem. Just keep in mind that it takes the hydro a moment to "catch up" with your input if you are using it aggressively. But when it does, anything not bolted or tied down is taking flight.

Last edited:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Gotcha. That '85 Chev 1 ton I have has it, but it's been a few years since It drove....no engine. Used to have an '89 Olds with their super-duper diesel that had hydro. But I don't remember much difference. But I'll ck things out & be aware.
Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ttman4 said:
Gotcha. That '85 Chev 1 ton I have has it, but it's been a few years since It drove....no engine.
hey...
if the chev is still in your posession and is missing a momo, pull the hydro and see if it bolts up to the Furd. If I had one sitting on the ground, I certainly would have done some checking today. the info would be good to know ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12