Hydroboost mod.....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I seem to have found one out of an '90 F-450..complete w / NEW high press hoses ;Sweet and resivour for a duce :D

Also if my fogged memory serves, isn't the F-450 master cyl the most desired due to the 1 1/4" bore?

I read Full Monte's article ;Sweet :hail and the only thing missing is the connection for the elec motor...{blue cyl in pic}..in event of eng failure, pressing the brake pedal energises the motor for braking assist. {or so I recall}

Is any modification to the porporting {sp} valve required for rear dics :Sly
While there, they were stripping out a '04 E-350 cargo van that was wacked in the front/right side and I beleieve they will sell me the disc setup...lines/ parking brake cables, rotors/calipers.... the whole mess!
It has the Sterling rear so mods if any to the brkts should be minimal :thumbsup:

Those calipers are about as big as the fronts ;Sweet

It's great to be able to mod the OBS chassis regardless of IDI or PSD :cheers:

pafixitman

Reaction score
:thumbsup:
I have been shopping yards in the mid atlantic region for hydro boost. I think this is a mod I am going to do. Take many pics for us (..umm, of the brakes and hydro boost) before and after. Other than Monte's installed pic, I have no clue what I am looking for / at.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
IAlso if my fogged memory serves, isn't the F-450 master cyl the most desired due to the 1 1/4" bore?

I read Full Monte's article ;Sweet :hail and the only thing missing is the connection for the elec motor...{blue cyl in pic}..in event of eng failure, pressing the brake pedal energises the motor for braking assist. {or so I recall}
geo-
yup, the f450 m/c is the "big boy".
The blue cyl in the pic is one of those nitrogen charged assist cylinders. nothing fancy about it. You're thinking the bigger IH chassis that has the electric assist for the brake booster. These don't have that feature.
I reused the proportioning valve in my conversion. No brake balance problems to report either.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
I have been shopping yards in the mid atlantic region for hydro boost. I think this is a mod I am going to do. Take many pics for us (..umm, of the brakes and hydro boost) before and after. Other than Monte's installed pic, I have no clue what I am looking for / at.
you wanna look for one of these....

Attachments

• _icp009[1].z19026.jpg
    _icp009[1].z19026.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 44

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the '90 F-450 parts will not work unless you own a blue truck. It's okay, I will take it off your hands for free, I'll even cover shipping. :D

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat, is there any reason that we can not use the system from a GM/Chevy?
Since every 6.2L p/u and Suburban had them, they're a lot more common in the salvage yards than the Fords.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
JPR said:
Since every 6.2L p/u and Suburban had them, they're a lot more common in the salvage yards than the Fords.

Good pernt....Well TC....:popcorn:

JPR said:
the '90 F-450 parts will not work unless you own a blue truck. It's okay, I will take it off your hands for free, I'll even cover shipping. :D

:backoff This blue enough for ya cuddles ;p ;p :D

Attachments

• geo-1-A.JPG
    geo-1-A.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 10
  • geo-1-b.JPG
    geo-1-b.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPR said:
I don't have a pair sitting side-by-side, so I can't say what the specific differences are. all I can tell you is that when I just did the one on my service truck, the unit was quite different on the backside. IE....the firewall side. I think gm & ford intentionally does that. Just take a look at how the stadyne pump are backwards between the two, rockwell axles on the f450 and the HD3500 are unique and the hydro units are unique unto itself too. I do have two rebuildable ford hydros if you are brave enough to try rebuilding one yourself. There really isn't too many moving parts inside unlike a IP.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
towcat I do have two rebuildable ford hydros if you are brave enough to try rebuilding one yourself. There really isn't too many moving parts inside unlike a IP.[/QUOTE said:
Towcat, what they come off of (year) & how much you want for one of them? How much a kit cost approx?
Does it take a different PS pump, or will stock pump work? I been reading thru the tec articles & other articles, but am not clear on that part.

Wonder how many years will interchange on a '90 F350?

If I had Hydro brakes, tore out & threw away my AC & Heater, then I wouldn't have vacumn doors to open & close, right? Then I could throw away my vac. pump....one less belt! Probably gain a couple hundred horses, maybe 300-400!!!?? Throw away the alternator.....more HP, unhook the fan....more hosses! AC's already unhooked for the winter.
I can just see me now....hammer down...nothing pulling except the PS pump!!! Probably be hard to keep tires on that thing I suspect!
Do it sound like I'm on the right track??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
James

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ttman4 said:
Towcat, what they come off of (year) & how much you want for one of them? How much a kit cost approx?
Does it take a different PS pump, or will stock pump work? I been reading thru the tec articles & other articles, but am not clear on that part.

Wonder how many years will interchange on a '90 F350?

If I had Hydro brakes, tore out & threw away my AC & Heater, then I wouldn't have vacumn doors to open & close, right? Then I could throw away my vac. pump....one less belt! Probably gain a couple hundred horses, maybe 300-400!!!?? Throw away the alternator.....more HP, unhook the fan....more hosses! AC's already unhooked for the winter.
I can just see me now....hammer down...nothing pulling except the PS pump!!! Probably be hard to keep tires on that thing I suspect!
Do it sound like I'm on the right track??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
James
As far as price is concerned, I am thinking core value on them. that is why I am keeping them around. I will check in the morning to see how much my rebuilder is charging for cores on the hydro. As far as the rebuild parts are concerned, I think the last time I paid for the kit was somewhere less than $20. Keep in mind this was seven years ago and I bought four kits at one time. My strategy with my fleet at the time was turnaround time on any repair was critical. hence, spare parts and parts trucks were kept in stock. When I wasn't busy fighting business related fires, I was in the shop rebuilding stuff. As far as killing off the vac pump, the only downside is your air doors will default to defrost mode. That is a DOT required feature. My towtrucks thought nothing of devouring AC pumps and the climate where I am at is pretty mild, so when a AC system died, it got yanked. i had to listen to the guys cry a few days out of the year. No biggie. One good thing about yanking the vac pump, I have been able to get a year out of my alternator on the average before the bearings bit it.
Oh yea, my hydros are 88-94 f450's

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Towcat, I'll get back to you tomorrow, Friday latest. Gonna ck on kits & stuff. I guess it could be UPS or somebody cheap freight to central Or.
I went back & read Full Monte's tec article. Made more sense. Looks like he was using model years '88-'92 or so. Also looked like the stock pump & resavoir will work with plumbing mods. or change out resavoir.

Looks like main thing is get everything in line & right length.
Years ago me & another redneck put a few vac boosters on some junk work cars. We made rubber wedges to mount against the firewall to align things, & even cut a hole in the hood on one so the booster would fit.
We're a little smarter now.
Yeah, and gas was starting to get pretty high too....up to around 22 cents!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
monte's hydro setup is off a '97.
that is why the cruise sensor was there.
if you need a shiping zip, figure 95050 and I would say the weight would be 20lbs.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:

Yeah..I shoulda taken a photo of the hyroboost & hoses before I put them in the truck. One thing you will notice is the extra room you'll have in the engine compartment without that giant vacuum assist unit in there.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
towcat said:
As far as price is concerned, I am thinking core value on them. that is why I am keeping them around. I will check in the morning to see how much my rebuilder is charging for cores on the hydro. As far as the rebuild parts are concerned, I think the last time I paid for the kit was somewhere less than $20. Keep in mind this was seven years ago and I bought four kits at one time.

Towcat, have you had a chance to ck on price of core or anything else. I haven't, but will try to today, & price of kit, & ck w/ UPS.
Send me a PM. OK?
Thanks
James

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Towcat, Thanks for the offer about your used Hydro. I went to the local salvage yd yesterday & found a complete setup off I think a '96-'97 F450....hydroboost, hoses, & PS pump to fit. They let me have it all for $110, so I jumped & paid before they changed minds. Their reg. price on the Hydro alone was $140, and the pump usually $40-50. I frequent their premises quite often in my rags, so I think they feel sorry.... Actually, I spend several $$ there every year.
I'm supposed to pick it all up this morning after they pulled it.
My pump is leaking round front seal now & I'll have to do something about the pully....different belts.

I checked at a local CarQuest....their core chg on Hydroboost is $67.86 & the new-rebuilt is $210.04....& they would have to look for a rebuild kit.
Ford wanted I think just under $400 on new one. No core. Looks like '88-'97 Hydro on F350, 450, & 550 all fit. '89-'97 pumps on same rigs all fit.

I've been noticing that in the last couple years this local salvage yard has steadly been raising their prices big time on used stuff. (whatever the traffic will bear & if folks pay it and are happy)
This place (Central Oregon) is growing round here like it's the "Hub of the Universe," folks moving in in droves. I think they think if they go to a salvage yd it must be cheap, so they buy before checking elsewhere.
Sometimes, not everytime, I can buy stuff at Ford or local parts as cheap, cheaper, or nearly as cheap.
Thanks again .
James