Hydroboost Donors

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the mustang hydroboost units work for an F-250 conversion or do I need to find something off of a full size truck? Planning to have hoses made for this setup.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a F450 setup from 88-94 is a drop-in into 83-94 f250/f350.
the appropriate pedal brackets will need to be gotten for all three bodystyles.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a F450 setup from 88-94 is a drop-in into 83-94 f250/f350.
the appropriate pedal brackets will need to be gotten for all three bodystyles.

I'm swapping to a different body so most interested in which hydroboost donors are capable of the braking needed.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try idi tech section.
You need the retrofitted cab specs before any interchange can seriously be answered.
The part #'$$$ are listed in the hydroboost stickie.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try idi tech section.
You need the retrofitted cab specs before any interchange can seriously be answered.
The part #'$$$ are listed in the hydroboost stickie.

I've been through the tech threads. What I want to know is if other hydroboost setups are capable. I'll deal with adapting the hydroboost to my cab.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hydro systems are essentially the same. the mounting, port threading and pushrod is different. without knowing what body you're running, how do you expect a opinion to be formed?

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hydro systems are essentially the same. the mounting, port threading and pushrod is different. without knowing what body you're running, how do you expect a opinion to be formed?

I just want to know if it matters which one I get. Mustang ones are plentiful, but if the MC isn't up to the task I'll probably grab one off of a late chevy pickup. It's going on a Jeep pickup and all I've found is custom ones someone sells as kits. With the chevy boosters I'll need to use a larger pin and probably make a 1" spacer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to know if it matters which one I get. Mustang ones are plentiful, but if the MC isn't up to the task I'll probably grab one off of a late chevy pickup. It's going on a Jeep pickup and all I've found is custom ones someone sells as kits. With the chevy boosters I'll need to use a larger pin and probably make a 1" spacer.
i have a hydro/master combo off a late 90's GM in my posession. if you're in the SFBA, make an appointment to drop by my shop and it's yours. there's also a power brake booster rebuilder near me who can install whatever length pushrod you desire for your jeep.

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, and many others, have retrofitted the Chevy Astrovan hydroboost to all kinds of vehicles. Also Mustang and Superduty hydroboosts. Towcat is right--they are basically the same.

The beauty of the F450 HB is that it's a drop in fit with no fabrication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a hydro/master combo off a late 90's GM in my posession. if you're in the SFBA, make an appointment to drop by my shop and it's yours. there's also a power brake booster rebuilder near me who can install whatever length pushrod you desire for your jeep.

I would but I'm about 7 hours away. Thanks for the offer.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, and many others, have retrofitted the Chevy Astrovan hydroboost to all kinds of vehicles. Also Mustang and Superduty hydroboosts. Towcat is right--they are basically the same.

The beauty of the F450 HB is that it's a drop in fit with no fabrication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the hydroboost units are similar in function, I assume the master cylinder has to be swapped and that is where the F450 unit is better because it accepts the f250 master cylinder. Is that correct?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only issue I have with using a mustang hydroboost is the weight of the vehicles.
yes hydroboosters are mostly the same, but the mustang one, I highly doubt that you will beable to bolt the F450 master to it.
which will make you oblong the holes in the master.
and that...
I am not comfortable with... and I do custom stuff left and right.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But why reinvent the wheel?
Even IF the stang unit is cheaper it will not ballance the up charge of fancy replacement mc's nor mounts.
Do post to the tech section IF you get it done so we have another avenue.