HydroBoost Brake System?

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brakes suck. I think I have a bad Vac Pump and I though this would be a good opportunity to just go with Hydroboost brakes. I've seen talk about it around the forums here and there but I don't know too much about it. I just wanted to know if the switch is easy, how expensive it is, and if it's really worth the time and effort.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's basically a hydraulic brake booster, powered by the power steering system.

There's a few for sale in the marketplace.

Before a swap, I would check your master for leaks, booster for leaks, vac pump output, vac lines, and adjust the rear drums. A hydroboost booster won't fix other problems in the brake system...

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's basically a hydraulic brake booster, powered by the power steering system.

There's a few for sale in the marketplace.

Before a swap, I would check your master for leaks, booster for leaks, vac pump output, vac lines, and adjust the rear drums. A hydroboost booster won't fix other problems in the brake system...

That's going to be what my next few days are going to consist if. New Shoes, springs and all that such, probably new cylinders too. Just the getting to the assembly seems like a PITA because of the floating axle hub.
I also forgot that these aren't self adjusting so I'll adjust those too. Thanks though for the info!

gandalf

Reaction score
I also forgot that these aren't self adjusting so I'll adjust those too. Thanks though for the info!

Ohhh, but the rear brakes ARE self-adjusting. Ask any Ford dealer. The problem is that the self-adjusters don't work. :rotflmao:dunno

One of the main reasons that the brakes on our trucks don't work well is that people let the get out of adjustment. They're usually marginal at best, and when they get out of adjustment they really suck. :puke:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brakes suck. I think I have a bad Vac Pump and I though this would be a good opportunity to just go with Hydroboost brakes. I've seen talk about it around the forums here and there but I don't know too much about it. I just wanted to know if the switch is easy, how expensive it is, and if it's really worth the time and effort.

Converting to a hydro-boost brake system is second best upgrade we can do to our trucks, adding a turbo being the first. (even though don't have a turbo - yet). It is also a relatively easy conversion once you have acquired the correct hydroboost pedal. The pedal effort on my truck was high before the conversion and the stopping power was barely adequate. After conversion, the stopping power is great and pedal effort is greatly reduced. Here is a link to my thread about the conversion:http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?63819-Holy-stopping-power-Batman!!!-Hydroboost-installed!

As BDCarrillo already stated though, the Hydroboost conversion isn't going to fix other problems in the braking system, so you will want to make sure the rest of the system components are in good shape.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a brake pedal part number or model year which covers all of the bullnose/bricknose/OBS trucks or is the pedal specific to the model year of the truck that is being upgraded?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a brake pedal part number or model year which covers all of the bullnose/bricknose/OBS trucks or is the pedal specific to the model year of the truck that is being upgraded?

Here are a couple of threads that should help answer that question. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?63330-Now-I-have-the-OBS-hydroboost-pedal!
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?54600-hydroboost-pedal-pin-dimensions&highlight=

Finding the hydroboost pedal from an F-Superduty that is the same gen as your truck is, in my opinion, the hardest part of this upgrade. The F-Superduty was made during the bricknose era and during the OBS era, but not during the bullnose era, so if converting a bullnose to hydroboost the pedal will probably have to be modified. Of course, modifying an existing pedal to line the pivot pin up with the hydrobooster rod is also an option instead of searching for the correct OEM pedal. By the way, at least for the OBS trucks, Ford lists the same part number for the vacuum brakes and the hydroboost brakes, even though the pivot pin location is different between them.:dunno

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Converting to a hydro-boost brake system is second best upgrade we can do to our trucks, adding a turbo being the first. (even though don't have a turbo - yet). It is also a relatively easy conversion once you have acquired the correct hydroboost pedal. The pedal effort on my truck was high before the conversion and the stopping power was barely adequate. After conversion, the stopping power is great and pedal effort is greatly reduced. Here is a link to my thread about the conversion:http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?63819-Holy-stopping-power-Batman!!!-Hydroboost-installed!

As BDCarrillo already stated though, the Hydroboost conversion isn't going to fix other problems in the braking system, so you will want to make sure the rest of the system components are in good shape.

Just curious but how much did this cost you? And how long did the install take?

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of threads that should help answer that question. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?63330-Now-I-have-the-OBS-hydroboost-pedal!
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?54600-hydroboost-pedal-pin-dimensions&highlight=

Finding the hydroboost pedal from an F-Superduty that is the same gen as your truck is, in my opinion, the hardest part of this upgrade. The F-Superduty was made during the bricknose era and during the OBS era, but not during the bullnose era, so if converting a bullnose to hydroboost the pedal will probably have to be modified. Of course, modifying an existing pedal to line the pivot pin up with the hydrobooster rod is also an option instead of searching for the correct OEM pedal. By the way, at least for the OBS trucks, Ford lists the same part number for the vacuum brakes and the hydroboost brakes, even though the pivot pin location is different between them.:dunno

Don't crucify me for this stupid question but I though SuperDuty trucks began production in 99'? Or is that the name of the trucks that go past the F-350? (Like if I wanted a pedal I'd have to find one out of a 1992 F-450 therioretically?)

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious but how much did this cost you? And how long did the install take?

I was trying to remember cost, but then remembered I posted this up in another thread: "I purchased the hoses from RockAuto and they were about $13 each. The Ford HB unit I bought from a Ford parts dealer on Ebay $233 shipped, which was slightly cheaper than RockAuto. The ps reservoir I purchased from another Ford parts dealer on Ebay and that was about $35 shipped. So, if you factor in the cost of your time to track down salvage yard parts, that may or may not be in good shape, the cost of these new, quality parts seems to be a decent deal. Factor in the money I would have spent on a replacement vacuum booster too (which would not have improved the braking situation) and this upgrade looks even better."

Now, add to that the cost the correct hydroboost pedal (in my case $75), a new master cylinder if you want or need it, new PS cooler lines if you need 'em, a PS cooler up front (which I think is a good idea because of the extra heat the HB unit generates) a Magnefine filter (optional) and of course, PS fluid. I can't really say how long it took - I kind of worked on it now and again as time allowed. If you have everything you need before you start, you could do the install in a day or over the weekend if it is your DD, provided you didn't hit any "snags". There is an install write up in the IDI Tech articles too.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't crucify me for this stupid question but I though SuperDuty trucks began production in 99'? Or is that the name of the trucks that go past the F-350? (Like if I wanted a pedal I'd have to find one out of a 1992 F-450 therioretically?)

Ford "re-used" the Superduty name in '99 when the new gen of F250's, F350's, F450's and beyond were introduced. The former "F-Superduty" began production in the bricknose era and continued up through the OBS era. This re-use of the Superduty name causes all kinds of confusion. The F-Superduty trucks were the next step up from the F350's and actually had a badge on the side of them that said "F-SUPERDUTY" and were sort of the equivalent of the F-450 now. If you are going to a yard to search for parts, you may need to ask for either the F-Superduty or the F450 that is the same gen as your truck. These F-Superduty trucks were typically used as car haulers, flat beds, light dump trucks, stake trucks, etc., so that is what you are looking for in the yard - not a regular pickup.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven vacuum boost Ford diesels now for over 20 years.. I still cringe at ever stop, knowing I don't have enough brake. Took the automatic adjusters out, threw them away.. I keep the rear brakes adjusted and still braking sucks..

Now.. fast forward a bit.. I bought a 92 F 450.. It has hydroboost.. AND disk brakes on the rears [dualie] .. First 500 miles I thought I was going to throw myself through the windshield at every stop, the brakes were so good.. It's a heavy full 1 ton truck.. still stops like a sports car..

Bottom line.. Every other Ford I have will now have hydroboost.. first.. If possible, by some magic.. disks on the rears.. Sooooooooo much better..

Do it.. damn the cost, or time.. you'll be glad you did.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fairly cheap and easy mod - worth it for sure. New/reman parts off rock auto aren't bad price wise, so that's the route I'd go. Fairly common in the junkyards, but still hit or miss, and you have no idea if they're any good. Only real difficult part is modding the brake petal to move the pin up a bit, and even that isn't too hard.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is definitely going to be my first Modification to this truck. I cringe every time some little sedan likes to cut in front of me and then rapidly brake before any stoplight or other such situation. Literally every time I have to brake a little prayer to God goes out begging that my truck doesn't end up on top of another vehicle haha. I'm going to go over my brake system with a fine tooth comb and work out all those kinks first. Rears getting new drums, wheel cylinders, lines and all that nonsense. New Calipers and Pads up front with new hard lines, especially because on my passenger side the hardline that comes off the caliper goes STRAIGHT DOWN and the rubber hose meets the hardline at a 20 DEGREE ANGLE. Like holy crap, I could go to the nearest hospital and take a recently born child, show it that setup and even it could tell me its not okay. Everyday Im blessed with new suprises from my rig....Oh well, still more character than a brand new truck will ever have

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online