Hydraulic Winch setup info needed.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. The wife got her idi turbo in a '94 Crewcab Dually. I have the BW 1356 transfer case with the PTO option behind a E4OD trans.
Now the fun part comes in what Hyd winch would you go with?
Yes, I already have a Warn 12K electric on the the first truck.
I am looking for a hyd option for the other one.

Warn, Smitty, other? I was looking at a 12K hyd winch might go 15K, 18K at the most.
Don't believe I need a 30K winch on the front of a pickup truck.
After the winch,
Tank? I suppose I might find something that works at Surplus center, maybe.
In line filter?

PTO?
Muncie?
Parker?
Other?

What else am I missing?
Controls?

Then the last question possibly being bumping up idle speed when using the winch.
Flip side of the coin is using it in while in gear to pull myself out of whatever, IF ever.

help. . . .

Thanks in advance!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the fragmentary post above...
I will crapshoot an answer!
WARN loved around The world, or shittybuilt....

Hand throttle\idle up solenoid, using a hyd winch while in gear will make for some fun...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be running the PTO set up from my donor truck and don't have a winch picked out yet, so thank you for beating me to the punch and asking first! I will be watching this thread.

My plan was just to keep watching Craigslist and see what pops up :dunno

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
At least in the ATV/UTV world, I believe that it's recommended to have a winch that's rated at twice the weight of the vehicle (minimum). I would assume that the same goes for the larger vehicle world too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Make sure the pump meets the specs of whatever winch you go with. And I don't mean bare minimum.
Ideally you want to meet the winch specs at or near idle.
Filter needs to be in the return. I would go ahead and run some lines to the rear of the truck. Or even the front of the bed.
Also, iirc you can run a manual torque converter lockup switch to help with higher output. (You would run the tcase in neutral)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plans also include a rear mount for the winch along with remote 12V connectors for jumper cables.
The Warn winch is calling for 3000 PSI and 20 GPM on the 20 and 30K winches. Unable to find a hyd spec on the smaller winches. 18-15-12K
I do have a warn 12K electric on one truck and haven't had any problems pulling anything yet. Especially with 125' of cable and a snatch block.
I was hoping that someone here might be able t shed lots of insight on this project.
Will keep y'all updated with my findings.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Warn winches on a Jeep I had in the 1980's. It was a 9000 pound electrical winch. The main reason for the electrical winch was many times when you get stuck, the engine stalls and will not fire up. You can pull yourself out if your batteries are good. A hydraulic winch won't help if the engine is dead.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps hit one of the wrecker forums???

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: why do you want a hydraulic winch? There's two big reasons to go hydraulic with regards to truck mounted winches: 1) higher weight capacity than can be achieved with electric, and 2) synchronizing winch speed with vehicle wheel speed. I'll take it the second one isn't really an issue as it's usually specific to serious off road rigs where you stick something like a Jeep in a specific gear and the winch pulls at an identical speed to the tires in that specific gear. Having speeds synchronized works really well, especially when you bring up RPMs and the winch speed and tires are all moving at the same speeds. I'm assuming this isn't a big deal to you as there aren't a lot of F350's doing the kind of serious off-roading that requires this.

If you are just looking for lots of weight capacity, going hydraulic can get you more than electric will offer. Hydraulic winches are a great solution for mobile recovery systems, as can be seen by the use of them on all the recovery rigs out there, but keep in mind: those trucks have hydraulics on board for things besides the winch, so the PTO, pump, valve, reservoir and plumbing are a sunken cost. I won't try to talk you out of it, but it's a lot of hardware for an alternative winch option.

Again, it's your decision, and if you decide to go hydraulic, I'm pretty sure a Chelsea 442 PTO is where you'd want to start for your BW 1352.

https://www.chelseaptoapps.com/Home/Configuration

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crewcab Dually off road might be a fun way to tear things up. The electric winch is nice. Until it stops working.
either way, the engine needs to be running, either to charge the battery or run the winch. I intend to have both options on this truck. Plug and play either way.
Money pit? Yes. I have the Warn 12K electric. It's nice, but. That 'but' is where the hyd comes in.
Running stock tirs with the 4/10 gears on the E4OD trans.

A wrecker forum will probably be the next step.
I called Muncie and they can do me the 3,000 PSI at 20/25 GPM that the Warn 30K winch needs.
I also tripped across Mile Marker(?) winches and they have lovely plans to hook into the P/S.
Great, if I want to be there all day and with a screaming P/S belt. . .
Still poking around.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just some quick numbers for 30 gpm:

You can get a Chelsea 442 that will bolt to your transfer case to spin the output ar 120% of engine speed, which we could assume high idle of 1200 rpm, which means your pump shaft would be turning 1440 rpm at 1200 rpm engine speed.

30 gpm x 231 cubic inches per gallon = 6930 cubic inches / 1440 rpm means you’ll need a pump that’s about 4.8 cubic inches of displacement. In this size, you’ll need to go cast iron gear on the pump as I don’t think you’ll find an aluminum gear pump this large, especially at 3000 psi.

Lastly, 3000 psi x 30 gpm / 1714 = 52.5 horsepower, which is above the rated HP of a Chelsea 442 PTO. I would at the very least slow it down as breaking the PTO or transfer case would suck.

Double lastly: I agree with your commentary on your power steering pump, and I would add that you won’t get anywhere near 3000 psi out of it.

Again, good luck if you choose to pursue this option.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There's two big reasons to go hydraulic with regards to truck mounted winches: 1) higher weight capacity than can be achieved with electric, and 2) synchronizing winch speed with vehicle wheel speed.
I can think of a third reason too. A hydraulic winch can be used constantly for a longer period of time than an electric one can. This is assuming that you're doing some serious winching for a long distance. With the hydraulic winch, there's no having to stop to let the battery(ies) recharge. Again, due to my lack of experience outside of powersports winches, this may not be as much of an issue with truck/SUV electric winches.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just built. Gin boom on. Truck with a livee boom set up and learned z lot about winches first thing a winch will pull more the more cable is out second the expected weight pulled have double the winch at least also cable get the good **** and third if you can use your snatch blocks and wind your cable up right don't let it rats nest up you will ruin a cable

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That snatch block also needs to be rated twice what the winch is rated for.
Looking around I found Mile Marker hyd winches and they appear to be comparable to the Warn winch, They are however used on military vehicles and that may or may not be a good thing.
They, at least, have a schematic of a hyd winch set up.
Winch hyd tank is about 22 gallons at 9 pounds a gallon is 198 pounds. Add a few more inches for expansion and you are now carrying another gas tank that never goes empty.
The size of the tank gives me pause to possibly reconsider this undertaking. then again, I am going to continue to research it.
On another front, Smittybilt sells a 17.5K electric winch on Amazon for $515.13
1/2 price, UNDER 1/2 price of a Warn.
Quality? Yeah. Thought so.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Food for thought...
disclaimer first
I have 3 rigs with a winch.

What are the actual usage frequencies that mandate 2 separate drums on This rig?
Could the hyd. Do both?
Could the electric do both?
I lost track...
Even out rockcrawling on an easy 3 day run I might pull line once every 3 trips.
Grins and giggles runs once a day.

Look into the dash mounted rotory idle control cable gizmo's

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online