Hydraulic clutch fun! #%*)@#$!!!!!!!!

Camarogenius

Reaction score
So here's the latest trick my truck is pulling. I have to mash the clutch pedal all the way to the firewall to get it in or out of gear. Then, the clutch pedal stays almost to the floorboard, and won't release enough to shift again, unless I put my foot under the pedal and pull it all the way back, before pushing it to the firewall again.:mad:
I'm not sure if it's the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder down on the bellhousing.
I'm tempted to replace both peices. I've heard nightmare stories about trying to bleed clutch cylinders. Is there perchance a kit that has both cylinders, already pre-bled? What would this cost?
If I can't find one of those, are there any tips, tricks, or pitfalls to bleeding a clutch cylinder setup?
There will be a continuation in another post about diagnosing the flywheel and stuff.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Be sure to check your firewall and pedal brackets!!! Mine did this and it was not the hydraulics, it was a cracked firewall and the clutch pedal bracket was worn from about a 5/8 inch hole to about a 1 1/2 inch hole.

And for bleeding, I was told to raise the front of the truck and to just use the push rod to bleed. Push the push rod in, crack the bleeder screw, repeat. Worked like a charm. Just be sure to keep the reservoir filled, it is very small when you are bleeding the system - don't ask how I know! :puke:

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Well, when I'm pushing ******* the clutch pedal, I can feel movement in the brake pedal.
If that's the problem, Would I still have to hook my toe under the pedal and pull back every time?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how much move =ment in the brake pedal?your brake/clutch pedal bracket up under the dash is worn out and needs to be replaced also.i had a truck that was doing the same as yours.replaced the braket and all was good again

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Enough to tell that there's a little movement there, but not inches or anything.
It just started this last night. I'm not discounting the bracket thing, but doesn't that happen over time?
Is there a good fix for it? maybe making a steel bushing, and filling the space around it with JB Weld?
Are new brackets readily available?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If the problem is in the pedal gallery You can remove it and put new bushings and lube, not for the bleed kit I read here that You can get one from napa for a good price.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the new bracket is still available.i believe it was a little over 100.00.it does wear out over time but it could have been worn since you got the truck and just decided to get the point it is now.you can tell how bad it is by looking up under the dash with a flashlight and moveing the pedals.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Rich and I are talking about the same thing and it could have just been the point where it let go. Mine did the exact same thing, bracket from www.fordparts.com was like $76 when I replaced it. You will also need the bushings etc. It is a fun process, but not real difficult.

Also, I would go ahead and check the firewall by having someone push the clutch pedal in while you watch under the hood. If the clutch master cylinder moves out as they depress it, you have a cracked firewall as well. You need to fix the whole works or you will just end up wearing things out again. The binding and such that is caused by parts moving that shouldn't makes them wear quickly. The same place (link above) has the best price I could find on the firewall kit and while it is just my personal opinion, don't even mess with the small kit if you need to fix the firewall. Back in my mechanic days, everyone of the small kits we installed came back a year or two later and needed the big kit. Rich is still turning wrenches and may be able to give you a better idea, but I wouldn't waste my time on the small kit. I have the Ford TSB for the firewall cracking issue scanned into a file on my computer if you want it, pm your email and I will send it to you.

One thing about it, if you have to do both, you can do it all at one time and save removing parts twice!!!! ;Sweet The metal used in the firewall and in bracket are not very substantial and from my wrenching days, this was a common problem that we fixed quite regularly. LMC also has some parts, but expect to pay premium price from them. Fordparts.com priced the large firewall kit to me for $114 to my door about a year ago, my local stealership wanted $208! So it pays to check around.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
the new bracket is still available.i believe it was a little over 100.00.it does wear out over time but it could have been worn since you got the truck and just decided to get the point it is now.you can tell how bad it is by looking up under the dash with a flashlight and moveing the pedals.

Yep, that is exactly how I found it. You can grab the pedal plate (strap metal that the pedal attaches to) and literally move it front to rear at the top when this wears. My clutch rod had about an inch of lateral movement where there should be none. The po on my truck tried to fix things, but the angle caused when the firewall cracks causes undo stress and wear on this part as well. The clutch rod actually rocks in the bracket when you push the pedal down (top of the pedal strap/pin) rock toward you in the drivers seat while the clutch pedal moves toward the firewall, and basically just binds, causing the pedal not to return. This is at least the 10th case I have read about on here and TDS and they all have had the same problem that I experienced in my truck...cookoo

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Update: When I left the house today, all was fine, but as the truck started warming up it started all over again.
I'll get under the dash and check the bracket and firewall this weekend.