hydraboost revisited

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever been in a panic stop and had to swerve while applying the brakes hard?. I heard you cant steer with hydroboost in a panic situation.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
My vac pump fell off one time after I put the engine all together and luckily i was able to swerve off across the road and get into a parking lot. Very difficult to stop though. I often wonder if I'll just end up ripping the vacuum booster apart pushing on the petal so hard without it assisting anything. Hydroboost would be cool, but i think i need to replace my power steering pump first, it sounds like it's about to fall apart some of the time.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever been in a panic stop and had to swerve while applying the brakes hard?. I heard you cant steer with hydroboost in a panic situation.
I've driven hydro'd f450's since '93 and never had the loss of power steering when standing on the brakes. Come to think of it.... my first towtruck was a '75 chev 1ton and it too is hydro'd. never had an issue with that truck either. If you do know of a person that did have a bad experience, have him come foward and tell us more about what happened.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From 92 Ford service manual "The hydro-boost also has a reserve system (compressed gas accumulator) that is designed to store sufficient fluid under pressure to provide at least two power assist brake application in the event that the fluid flow from the power steering pump is not available."

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have been driving my 79 chevy C30 1 ton camper special 454 since 1983. I have never lost my brakes because I was pannicking a turn with a stop. These hydroboost systems are great. You have more power going into the mechanical advantage for the braking. You can push the peddle to the floor but the braking will not be any better that what its designed to be. The system goes into a bypass mode but you still have full better braking capacity than the vacuum assisted brakes.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the project was officially completed on Friday with the installation of the correct power steering pump housing. I suggest ordering a seal & gasket kit E1AZ-3B584-1 with the new housing. I found that the old o-ring did not want to seal with new housing.

The only problem I have found is twice this weekend I got a brake and rear antilock warning lights. Once in gravel at the salvage yard on Saturday and once pulling up to a stop sign on Sunday.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
JPR what diameter master cylinder did you use? I have driven my new hydroboost system and the differance is as I posted. It feels like I have air brakes. I need very little peddle effort for the brakes to work. The peddle moves about 1/2 inch and its stopping faster than the vacuum system. I didn't adjust the rears when I made this change over, I would tellanybody thats not happy with their vacuum brakes to first really adjust up the rears. Then if your still unhappy with the peddle going too far down before it stops to change to the hydroboost system. I will be happy to give test rides when I do an upcomming "road trip".....:D

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using the 1-5/16" bore master cylinder.

It works great, although initial pedal effort is higher than expected. However, with the hydroboost and the 1-5/16" mc, it will actually lock up the tires and that is with new bigger tires.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
JPR did you have some angle from the hydroboost rod to the brake peddle? If so you need to change the peddle arm. The pin is 3 1/2 inches down on the standard F350 peddle and 2 3/4 down on the F450 peddles. I did this and boy-o-boy do my brakes come in fast with very little foot pressure or peddle movement. Its like air brakes.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well judging by how well this works ICFA I am glad I got that hydro assembly from that 2002 F350 SD 4x. I am working on changing the PS pump to a saginaw, and I found one at the wreckers that has dual return lines and remote reservoir, just what I was looking for.

Now I can purchase a rebuilt pump, change the tank over to the one I have and add a filter and cooler so I can eventually run a hydro assist ram on the steering too.

I just have to find out where to drill and tap the steering box for the ram assist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online