HX40 turbo swap/ injector questions

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok guys its been awhile since my last post but the old girl is doing well. But she is needing a turbo and i was wanting to do a hx40 swap and was wandering if anyone knows what all is needed to do it. I probably going to get one off eBay. and also turn up my pump. Also i got a set of newer injectors the other day for 1550$ they are Bosch Germany 060. does that mean 60 over or 60hp or are they just stock Bosch injectors thanks guys.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need the manifold(pass side) drivers side you have is the same and a crossover pipe and the top/bottom plenum(2 piece intake) usually pick all those pieces along with the drain line for about $150.A 4911 pump off the 1993's are a good fueling pump,but not really needed.I will look at some inj and see if we can figure those #s out

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have a turbo. I have a 1993 6.5 I have the manifold and intake and a 4911 db2 pump. I just wanted to know if anything else is needed to swap from a gm-3 turbo to a cummins hx40 turbo

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will need a down pipe adapter, custom build a wastegate actuator, hack saw (gotta take ~ 1" off the upper intake), and some rubber couplers from silicone

You can get the downpipe adapter and wastegate actuator from ptwiringsolutions . com, he can also be found on thetruckstop . us username racedaymechanic. Alot of people there have run and are running his stuff. I have his downpipe (in 1 truck), glow plug harness, and batt cables in 3 trucks.

The best turbo that fits on the 6.5L is a ebay hx40 knockoff (CKO HX40 or HX40II on 6.5L sites)

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok i plan on getting one of the ones on ebay but they look like they come with wastegates? it has a rubber line that goes to the front of the turbo and goes into the housing. Also can you use a aftermarket diamond eye hx40 downpipe? looks like it could fit?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the diamond eye down pipe for a 6.5 doesn't have the right off set and is bout 6" too short.

The waste gate on the eBay hx 40 doesn't clear the fender.

LOOK UP PTWIRINGSOLUTIONS or go on thetruckstop.us and search for Racedaymechanic, he is PTWIRINGSOLUTIONS, and the first and only to build a kit to fit a eBay hx 40 on a 6.5l

Or go to leroydiesel and get the ATT, A Team Turbo, it is a bolt on turbo kit and the best turbo out there.

Source Unknown

Last edited:

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i looked up ptwiringsolutions. he doesn't have any prices for the turbo kit on his website do you know the round about cost?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bout 150. Mine was 135 2yrs ago and one of the prototypes.

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier but you will need intake adaptors from siliconeintakes.com

He doesn't list them, he doesn't want to do alot so he only does them by request for people that know about them.

Materials and everything included you will be less than 100 cheaper than the ATT from leroydiesel. The ATT has full customer service too, hx doesn't. If att dies you will get a rebuild, hx (knock off) dies you're up a Creek.

Source Unknown

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually i havent got the turner yet. But its more of a shift point improver. SSDIESELSUPPLY sells it its called the diesel shift enhancer works by just flipping the switch. Buddie of mine has one on his 94 6.5 it makes a huge difference when towing.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SS diesel is a crock of crap. If you ever have an issue with his products he will not stand behind it. His injectors are cheap knock offs and will burn hole in your pistons.

Google Buddy Tunes or buddy performance tunes. He is reasonable priced and has a few different options for # of settings (econ, tow, race, dyno {holds 3rd better}, ect). He is over on diesel place under the screen name 94c1500 or something like that (only time I get on that site is to send him a msg).

BTW 060 on the injectors is just the part # iirc. There is no such thing as a 60HP injector on an IDI just different pressures, the pump measures the fuel.

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah thats want ive heard ive been looking for different people to get tunes from. And yes i now know that (only other diesel ive owned it a durmax) now that mel and i have been talking for going on 2 weeks. And i will look up that guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7