Hunting for Geers not deers

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to find the sweet spot for my truck while coming up a mountain road through the forest by my house. If I stay in 2nd gear I’m probably at 1800-2000+RPM but if I shift to third it’s hard to stay above 1000RPM. So I’m stuck overevving 2nd or lugging 3rd.

If I shifted the transfer case into 4H or L but didn’t lock the hubs would I gain any engine RPMs so I could prevent lugging 3rd? What would I be wearing on unnecessarily that could be a concern? I sometimes make the climb (it’s not very steep, just long probably 10 miles) a few times per week.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call 2000 RPM over revving. You can run these engines against the governor without hurting them. I have 3.55 gears and a 5 speed and I regularly run 2500 RPM or more towing heavy loads in 4th gear. You're better off keeping it in its peak torque range than lugging it.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
If you put it in 4 high,you will have the same speed,4 lo would be ridiculous,and either way,you have to come to a complete stop before shifting the transfer case.Bottom line is,you shouldn't use 4 wheel drive for long periods with the hubs disengaged.I have a 4 speed in my 250,and I have absolutely no problem going up hills and in 3rd gear going about 35 or 40.And trust me,you ain't seen hills till' you have driven in PA.If your truck struggles in 3rd,you got a problem.

Rock

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Also,I have 3.55 gears,aand like Cozinky said,2000rpm is nothing.That is only half throttle.These engines are designed to run against the governor all day long, for 350k miles.When I am driving with a light load,or no load,I am usually at 2400 or 2500 rpm up hill.When driving with a heavy load, you should expect to be at 3000rpm.

Rock

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put it in 4 high,you will have the same speed,4 lo would be ridiculous,and either way,you have to come to a complete stop before shifting the transfer case.Bottom line is,you shouldn't use 4 wheel drive for long periods with the hubs disengaged.I have a 4 speed in my 250,and I have absolutely no problem going up hills and in 3rd gear going about 35 or 40.And trust me,you ain't seen hills till' you have driven in PA.If your truck struggles in 3rd,you got a problem.

Rock

Well I'm in the mountains of PA so this is one of those hills, ha.

It's not struggling in 3rd, it's just that road speed in 3rd is too fast for this dirt forest road. It sounds like I'll just be better to run it in second at 2000-2500. For some reason 2500 in 2nd feels like it's a whole lot tougher on the truck than 2500 in 4th or overdrive.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also,I have 3.55 gears,aand like Cozinky said,2000rpm is nothing.That is only half throttle.These engines are designed to run against the governor all day long, for 350k miles.When I am driving with a light load,or no load,I am usually at 2400 or 2500 rpm up hill.When driving with a heavy load, you should expect to be at 3000rpm.

Rock

Is 2500 2500 no matter what? It seems like 2500 in 2nd gear is harder on the truck than 2500 in 4th or 5th.
My brain tells me that 2500rpm is 2500rpm but my gut feels like it's different and somehow harder on the truck and transmission.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call 2000 RPM over revving. You can run these engines against the governor without hurting them. I have 3.55 gears and a 5 speed and I regularly run 2500 RPM or more towing heavy loads in 4th gear. You're better off keeping it in its peak torque range than lugging it.

I figured lugging it has to be ******* the clutch for one thing right?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have access to other tires it might be worthy of an experiment. Smaller diameter and using 3rd gear or larger diameter and running 2nd. If you find a suitable combination, it may be more economical than changing rearend gears or looking for a different trans.