Huge 6.9 Problems

Reaction score
Scotty,

What Does SuperF350's 6.9 need? I mean, do you need to put your lower assembly in his block? If that's the case then yes you should hone it. If you have the cash re-ring it. Rings aren't that expensive, but you can get by running yours...for a long time most likely.

I know of a few guys that have ordered kits from Northern Auto Parts. They have had very good luck with them. I typed in a re-ring kit for a 6.9 with all standard sizes and did a felpro upgrade and added the intake gaskets:

https://www.northernautoparts.com

This kit was $489. Most likely 500 by the time it's shipped.

500 - Re-ring kit and gaskets (you should verify you get all the gaskets)
300 - Radiator Figuring High. There are a few on ebay for 250-275. I bet you can get it cheaper from a local jobber.
50 - Shipping for ICanFixAll's stuff
50 - Pizza N Brew

100 left for the unknowns.

You don't have to go with a re-ring kit. You can just get gaskets and go that route.

Mel and Nick are right. Don't part it out. I'm sure there are plenty here that would be interested in your rig as is...so don't go making us all nervous and sweaty by saying you'll part the damn thing out!

Hope you get her on the road!

Paul

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Scotty, there isn’t much left to say. But I will say that you won’t find another truck with this good of a warranty. What other truck could you own where a single thread on a message board would rally so much help? Another thing I am happy to see is the lack of ‘I told you so’s’ and the missing ‘you should haves’. We all know how useless those comments are. Instead, you’ve got hands willing to help, and parts available. You’re gonna get this sorted out. And when you do head out on your trip, you’ve got IDI guys all throughout the country for support.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scotty-
If "super" aka Vader, would like a core replacement 6.9 in exchange for the one you will be using, I have one I just took in.
Remember.....no rides in that 6. :eek: .....
oh yea....one more thing...
I will work up a price on a complete gasket kit tomorrow. I still get a little of a break from one supplier.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
geonc said:
Well......a cracked block CAN happen if the :idiot: doing the heads did not evacuate the coolant/fuel/oil etc... from the head bolt holes prior to running them down with an impact :backoff :idiot:

No one does that do they? Pop gunning head bolts down is a big no no. If they had I would suspect the block split in the bottom of the hole. Didnt read this whole thread. Sounds like you guys are getting him squared away. Just read this and had to respond. Sorry

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Hello guys Just a quick note- Scotty when you make your trip if you go through Oklahoma city OK it is less then 50 miles longer then the southern route.I don't know when you will be making your trip but both Okie and myself are close to that route.
We both will be available to help.I may still have a bunch of spare parts,and I do have a well equipped shop.Thus if you need help we are close by.Need adriver call either of us.If I am able I'll be glad to help out.( I need a trip)

sassyrel

Reaction score
scotty-use supers engine--but--rering it--youll have it nearly torn down--and the little cost extra for rings and bearings is a longevity issue--for the sig other!!! very little extra time--but large piece of mind--and no--you dont need a oil pump--these pumps move oil like you cant believe---then put er together--make sure oil and water are up--and away you go--and a trip pulling a trailer would sure seat the rings!!! good rust free trucks are hard to find--

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is sorta what I am leaning towards. If I could find a decent ring and bearing kit it would be no biggie. I am trying to stay under a 1000 for the engine and the radiator, WP, Fan Clutch, and associated stuff that will pop up while doing this. If I can do everything with new gaskets for under the 1000 mark I will be a happy camper. I have to go and look and see if I have a cylinder hone. Scotty

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, thanks a million for all you fellers that have offered parts to me. The ONLY concern is I want to put good stuff into the truck, that will make the happy while it is chugging away across the states. Especially cooling system stuff. Can't afford a tow job when stuck out in the middle of nowwheresville with my wife and kids in the truck. At least nothing major. OMB and ******, I will try and swing through your area when I am crusing through, should be a good spot to check everything and make sure stuff is still up to *****. Scotty

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bad is your radiator? Is it cleanable? There might be a way for you to acid clean it to save a couple hundred $'s on a radiator to at least get you to NC. And then you can get the water pump and fan clutch and all the other parts from these guys and save yourself some money.
Chris

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radiator is SHOT, TWOCAT mentioned getting a rad for 275, but by the time you ship it, I could probably get one locally for around 300-350 so no need in making him work. If the WP and fan clutch are new, those would be a score, but NC is no short trip, especially with 8K or more lbs on the truck. Remember I am going ot have the Jeep, my tools, and quad, so the truck needs to be pretty much flawless. That is why I am still trying to figure out the best way to tackle this problem. Scotty

jvencius

Reaction score
beretzs said:
Also, thanks a million for all you fellers that have offered parts to me. The ONLY concern is I want to put good stuff into the truck, that will make the happy while it is chugging away across the states. Especially cooling system stuff. Can't afford a tow job when stuck out in the middle of nowwheresville with my wife and kids in the truck. At least nothing major. OMB and ******, I will try and swing through your area when I am crusing through, should be a good spot to check everything and make sure stuff is still up to *****. Scotty

I'm right along I-80 (PM for phone numbers) at the south-east corner of Wyoming so iffn' you'll be driving along I-80, give me a buzz if you need a hand or just want to say hi.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that radiator barn seems like a pretty good deal. Anybody ever used one of them? I wished I could stop by each and everyones of your places to say thanks. I owe you guys, but I think you are trying to guilt me into not getting rid of my truck. As long as I can keep the wife inline for a little longer and if Gary's block turns out okay and needs a few basics, I think it would be a worthwhile project to keep the truck around for a little while longer. Scotty

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scotty, when are you moving? If you can get to Chattanooga in July, that would be good incentive to keep your IDI.

2006 IDI Weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online