How well will this hold up?

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously I need to start looking for a replacement but that will take some weeks, so.. How big of a problem is this really:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

This is the slip-yoke at the carrier bearing on the rear driveshaft of my 1989 F250 7.3 IDI supercab. Someone had used a heavy hammer and wacked a serious dent on both sides of the yoke. I had to change the u-joint, and to get the worn u-joint out I had to press it out past the dents, and a small piece broke of. I used a small grinder afterwards to remove any cracks, so it's a clean cut now. It's only affected from the locking ring groove and out, everything holding the cups on the u-joint is intact with no cracks. Both sides lost a piece, the pictures are of the worst side. Is this a fix-it-before-you-use-it-scenario, or should it hold up with some careful use?

stuborn nut

Reaction score
Don't know if it would hold up, depends on how you drive. I would give it a try for awhile until you could find some parts. If you are looking for new I have had great service from Tom Woods shafts. But I did just pull one out of a 88 with a zf yesterday. The splines are a little loose but seems to be ok. It is about 24.375" from weld to weld.PM me if you are interested.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Don't know if it would hold up, depends on how you drive. I would give it a try for awhile until you could find some parts. If you are looking for new I have had great service from Tom Woods shafts. But I did just pull one out of a 88 with a zf yesterday. The splines are a little loose but seems to be ok. It is about 24.375" from weld to weld.PM me if you are interested.

Welcome to the fold stuborn nut. For the issue with the broken joint I feel its going to be fine but run it and keep an eye on whats happening there. Clearly some fool worked it over trying to save it from replacement. Might be a good idea to have a drive shaft shop go thru all of it. Might have a bent thats causeing vibration issues too.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't vibrate you will be fine running it if you have to but it needs replaced.

I doubt you could break it if you tried but eventually since that break changed the size of the hole the u joint cap will start to spin wear it further.

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!
At least the truck passed a technical control (which every car here must undergo every second year, and which was overdue on the truck) with the damaged axle, so I have better time to find a replacement than I feared.

However, parts for the rear axle seem more troublesome to come by than I expected. The complete axle obviously differs depending on wheelbase and transmission/transfercase, but are parts interchangeable? I only need the slip-yoke that sits just rear of the axle carrier support, and is a part of the front half of the axle. Can I pull this of any OBS f250 with two-part rear axle, as long as the U-joint matches?

Also, that plastic insert that sits inside the splines, is that necessary? Obviously it reduces play in the splines, but I haven't noticed any vibrations without it. It was disintegrated and parts of it was coming out of the seal. I reckon that part is not replaceable, any problems will lead to replacing the entire axle..

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is repairable. But I would do a die penitent check before I used it. That will tell you if there are crack you cant see be eye. It can be welded. Just to preheat to right around 400 to 450 and use a cast steal compatible rod. Let cool vary slowly and you good to go

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'd run it. I would keep the repair #1 on my list while I was running it too. Paying a driveline shop has always been money well spent for me. I can not stand vibrations when you are doing 70-75mph down the freeway.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 5 years on that exact break, if the cap went in tight it should be fine. But I would keep my eyes open for driveshaft parts. what brand and ujoint number did you use, there are 3 different slip yokes I know of, I can buy new ones cheap but would hate to send you the wrong one.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!
At least the truck passed a technical control (which every car here must undergo every second year, and which was overdue on the truck) with the damaged axle, so I have better time to find a replacement than I feared.
Interesting a two year span for a safety or control inspection, what does that entail and why do they (whoever they are) deem it necessary?

BTW, that is a drive shaft not an axle, the axle is in the rear differential and if you have a 4x4 in the front too, just to clarify the situation.

However, parts for the rear axle seem more troublesome to come by than I expected. The complete axle obviously differs depending on wheelbase and transmission/transfercase, but are parts interchangeable? I only need the slip-yoke that sits just rear of the axle carrier support, and is a part of the front half of the axle. Can I pull this of any OBS f250 with two-part rear axle, as long as the U-joint matches?
Yes the yokes are interchangeable from year to year for the most part, best to stay within the model years of truck you have though for instance 87-91 and 92-94 etc
As far as I know personally any F250 yoke will work so long as same dimensions and U joint size

Also, that plastic insert that sits inside the splines, is that necessary? Obviously it reduces play in the splines, but I haven't noticed any vibrations without it. It was disintegrated and parts of it was coming out of the seal. I reckon that part is not replaceable, any problems will lead to replacing the entire axle..
Yes that plastic insert is INDEED NEEDED, so if yours is missing it's time for a new male part as well. It cannot be reapplied to your current setup. Lube is your friend here so lots of grease will help save you a bit of headache without that blue plastic on the shaft

First Welcome to Oil Burners, best place for info for these trucks. Take some time look at various threads like Hall of shame, to keep your money in your pocket not those of bad vendors and such, also FAQ and the TECH sections.

I would drive with caution and prepare to replace the complete rear drive shaft in it, in due time though!

Again welcome to OB

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7