How to remove IP with lines still attached?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started on my IP/injector replacement project today. I got the IP unbolted and loose and all the inector lines detached.

As it is, I slid the IP back with all the lines attached, finagled it around a little, and it is literally about 1/16 of an inch from coming out except the very nose of the IP is hitting one of the bosses on the back of the top gear cover.

So, I'm trying to figure out how I can get it out...I'm tempted to slide the IP back into place and either grind down or cut off that boss because as far as I can tell it serves no purpose. Either that, or do I need to loosen the line clamps on the injector lines? It's hitting the intake manifold itself on the back side.

fuzzydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine (91 IDI) and I initially thought it wouldn't go, but it does. You just have to finagle some more - keep at it. I can't recall which angle finally worked but like you I found out it is a very tight squeeze. IIRC for some reason it was easier to reinstall than to remove.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
You'r not going to be able to take the IP out with the lines attached if you have the factory turbo. i recently did my IP and i ended up taking off the injector lines. the injector lines on the top of the IP are not really trouble makers but the ones on the bottom are.
Strong word of advice: TAKE GOOD UP-CLOSE PICTURES OF THE IP & LINES

Good Luck

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bah...I'm gonna cut that boss off then :backoff

There's no way in hell I'm taking the turbo off this thing again.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Don't take the turbo off. You don't need to cut anything
Just take off the lines coming off the top of the IP. Then take the ones off the bottom of the IP. Once i got the ones off the top of mine all i had to do was take a couple of the bottom ones off. it does seem like the only option is to take the turbo off but once you have all but a couple lines off, you can turn the IP enough to get the lines out from under the turbo comp housing.
once i got the lines out of the way it came right out.

jmac212

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
yeah factory turbo it will with the lines attached just unhook the back 2 cylinders under the turbo from the little clamp and unbolt them from the pump and the injector just remove those 2 and slide it back and then up and out to the passengers side.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even the N/A was total PITA getting out with the lines still on.
was not fun.finally found just the right spot for it to clear.
worse part of that whole job.freaking tight.i don't think it's meant to come out with the lines on,but it "can" on the 7.3l N/A ......barely lol.
ill be removing the lines 100k from now when i replace the next one.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyhgOhS1OhY&feature=related
This should show you how the pump with the lines attached comes out really easy....

i have no clue how you made that look so easy lol.
i also watched this before removing mine.
i think it took me literally 10 minutes frigging with the thing.
i guess you must have done that a time or two before.;)

Last edited:

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I had a similar experience as XLT, got a little annoying but i finally found a sweet spot and she came right out. Putting it back in was much easier for some reason.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cut/ground about 1/4" off the aforementioned boss that was in my way and it came right out :D haha